Respected Contributor

When someone over 65 dies of the virus what is the cause listed as the virus or the underlying condition?  Is it the same in all states?   When I read the obits I have to wonder?   Nursing homes are big business and the head person is ofter a doctor who would sign the death certificate?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: When someone over 65 dies

where I live...  no Obits, so far, have mentioned the virus

DH works at a hospital and here are deaths from virus every day

so IDK.  

somewhere they are happening

they are all ages

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Regrettably, due to the COVID-19 pandemic restrictions, there will be no public visitation. A public service to celebrate  life will be announced at a later time once the C.D.C. restrictions are lifted.

this is listed in some obits but not all but that doesn't necessarily mean anything

I think it is edging up to 70 cases here.  no deaths but on tv I think they said 3 workers at 2 different nursing homes in the county.  The nursing homes are on lockdown here with no visitors allowed.

Respected Contributor

I just read today in the HuffPo that hundreds of "young" people are dying of COVIC19.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Esteemed Contributor

My understanding is that if someone dies who has the virus, it doesn’t matter whether they died of a heart attack or whatever...if they have the virus, that is listed as the cause of death.  

In public, in the obit...I haven’t seen it and COD isn’t usually listed in an obit. Sometimes “after a long illness”...nothing more than that. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

Not known what is on the death certificate.   Recently on our local news they reported about the death of a firefighter.  Virus was mentioned as if it was the main cause however, the reporter also mentioned the firefighter had other health issues.  I suspect the "other health issues" contributed to his death.

The firefighter's union is trying to help the widow collect his penson/death benefits by claiming "on the job" death as he caught the virus while on the job.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@lovescats wrote:

When someone over 65 dies of the virus what is the cause listed as the virus or the underlying condition?  Is it the same in all states?   When I read the obits I have to wonder?   Nursing homes are big business and the head person is ofter a doctor who would sign the death certificate?

What makes you ask this question? 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

I just read today in the HuffPo that hundreds of "young" people are dying of COVIC19.

yes there was a recent obit of a young person from a border state  and it said they had worked at one of those big stores 

Esteemed Contributor

I have seen several obits that say "complications of coronavirus"
My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Respected Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@lovescats wrote:

What makes you ask this question? 

Because at least 3 workers at 2 nursing homes have been reported as having the virus.  All the  nursing homes  in the county are on lockdown with no vistors allowed.  I don't think doctors here have to list the cause of death as the virus and a lot of nursing homes are owed by doctor groups.   There have been no deaths in this county yet.