Honored Contributor

Re: What is with the fascination about Facebook?

@The Monkey on My Back wrote:

This topic keeps appearing over and over like bad penny. Some enjoy it. Some don't. It's a personal choice. There's nothing to figure out.

And the numerous threads are *always* started by posters who "don't get it* and/or want people to convince them to participate, when they have clearly made up their minds that they think it's pointless and really only want a FB-trashing ranty-thread from others who agree with them.

I've never seen a single thread started by anyone who happily uses FB that is either trying to convince people to join or where the OP is dissing those who *don't* use FB. Hmmmm.....

Long story short - if you don't want to invest 15 minutes to set it up properly, you shouldn't be on FB.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

There will always be posters, like myself, who have not previously posted on one of these "don't care for FB" threads.

Like John, I know how to set it up; in fact, I opened up a bogus FB account so I could play games.  But from what I have seen on friends' and family members' FB accounts, I'm just not terribly interested in never-ending pictures of food, travel photos (which is about as interesting as sitting through a home movie, lol), and other types of meaningless posts that would never be part of either a phone or face-to-face conversation.  That's the difference I see....... but I think it's great if others have a different experience! :-)

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

This topic keeps appearing over and over like bad penny. Some enjoy it. Some don't. It's a personal choice. There's nothing to figure out.

And the numerous threads are *always* started by posters who "don't get it* and/or want people to convince them to participate, when they have clearly made up their minds that they think it's pointless and really only want a FB-trashing ranty-thread from others who agree with them.

I've never seen a single thread started by anyone who happily uses FB that is either trying to convince people to join or where the OP is dissing those who *don't* use FB. Hmmmm.....

Long story short - if you don't want to invest 15 minutes to set it up properly, you shouldn't be on FB.

@Moonchilde

We also know there are a lot of people here who are always suspect of anything that is new or unfamiliar to them.

A few years ago we had thread after thread after thread complaining about cell phones and questioning why anyone would want one, let alone need one.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Moonchilde

We also know there are a lot of people here who are always suspect of anything that is new or unfamiliar to them.

A few years ago we had thread after thread after thread complaining about cell phones and questioning why anyone would want one, let alone need one.

Cell phones? As frequently as a couple of weeks ago ;-)

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Super Contributor

Years ago when we had phonebooks, one had to pay to be unlisted.  Now, people want to give away that information for free.  I prefer to be unlisted, therefore no facebook for me.  I know too many people, young and old, that spend their time on facebook.  They have hundreds of "friends", yet they are unable to communicate in person.

I spend my time volunteering in the community, as well as working.  I don't need facebook. There are plenty of people who need a caring touch, someone to talk to face to face, unlike the millennials who sit side by side and text each other. 

Many like facebook, and good for them, but there are other forms of communication out there as well.  To each her own.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like Facebook.  I setup my account a number of years ago, but wasn't active until last year.  I like to look at pictures friends post.  I have two co-workers that travel to far away places and post stories of the culture and add pictures.  They are the only ones on my feed that post food.  They will order a local favorite and take a picture of the plate of food.  If it's something really unusual, they'll mention what it tastes like.  

Honored Contributor

@janeec wrote:

Years ago when we had phonebooks, one had to pay to be unlisted.  Now, people want to give away that information for free.  I prefer to be unlisted, therefore no facebook for me.  I know too many people, young and old, that spend their time on facebook.  They have hundreds of "friends", yet they are unable to communicate in person.

I spend my time volunteering in the community, as well as working.  I don't need facebook. There are plenty of people who need a caring touch, someone to talk to face to face, unlike the millennials who sit side by side and text each other. 

Many like facebook, and good for them, but there are other forms of communication out there as well.  To each her own.

@janeec

Are you aware of the fact that people on FB can and do limit those who can see their information?  It's the same thing as unlisting, letting in only those they want in.

They are unable to communicate in person?  Where did you get that from?  You know a multitude of people on FB who you know for sure can't communicate with others?

You are wrong on both counts.  Plenty of people of FB are professional people who communicate with others as their jobs. 

Respected Contributor

I had no idea that this would turn out to be such a lively thread.  Thanks for all your posts.

When I said that everyone wants to be friends, I only referred to all those whom I don't know.  I do talk to my friends, we meet, or phone.  I have many friends and relatives in Europe and we phone, but there is also e-mail. 

I remember 5 years ago I was able to maneuver around in facebook.  When I signed on this time, I could not even find how to log out.  So I guess it's just beyond me and for me I don't see any benefit.

Honored Contributor

To me fb is an accepted form of voyerism under the quise of being social. I never did understand why people would want to put themselves out there for all to see, read about and scrutinize.

Respected Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

I don't "get" FB, either.

I'm not anti social but I'm not sure that posting endless mundane details about the jelly sandwich you had for lunch is considered "social".

If anything, it seems we are becoming more disconnected than ever from real life.

Guess I'm lucky.  I don't have any friends or family posting endless mundane details about anything.  My sympathies to those of you who do!  That's not facebooks fault though....just sayin.