Respected Contributor

Re: What is with the fascination about Facebook?

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@The Monkey on My Back wrote:

This topic keeps appearing over and over like bad penny. Some enjoy it. Some don't. It's a personal choice. There's nothing to figure out.

And the numerous threads are *always* started by posters who "don't get it* and/or want people to convince them to participate, when they have clearly made up their minds that they think it's pointless and really only want a FB-trashing ranty-thread from others who agree with them.

I've never seen a single thread started by anyone who happily uses FB that is either trying to convince people to join or where the OP is dissing those who *don't* use FB. Hmmmm.....

Long story short - if you don't want to invest 15 minutes to set it up properly, you shouldn't be on FB.

@Moonchilde

We also know there are a lot of people here who are always suspect of anything that is new or unfamiliar to them.

A few years ago we had thread after thread after thread complaining about cell phones and questioning why anyone would want one, let alone need one.

Cell phones? As frequently as a couple of weeks ago ;-)

@Moonchilde - That's what went through my mind when I read Noel's post!  lol

Honored Contributor

Just because someone asks you to be their friend does not mean you are required to accept. I only accept friend requests from people I actually know and desire to communicate with. I can't understand why anyone would accept a friend request from a total stranger. Then, of course, set your privacy settings very tight and you can avoid most undesirable trash. I have only friended one person who I don't personally know but he is my cousin's cousin and we have both posted on her page for years so he finally sent me a friend request.It's not at all difficult to have a group you enjoy communicating with, and totally liking your FB experience.

Honored Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

@Snowpuppy wrote:

I don't "get" FB, either.

I'm not anti social but I'm not sure that posting endless mundane details about the jelly sandwich you had for lunch is considered "social".

If anything, it seems we are becoming more disconnected than ever from real life.

Guess I'm lucky.  I don't have any friends or family posting endless mundane details about anything.  My sympathies to those of you who do!  That's not facebooks fault though....just sayin.

Nor do I. In fact, I really enjoy reading about some of my friends vacations. One friend just re-married and she went to Italy. It's been so much fun following her trips the past year. Also I can keep up with my kids and how they are doing. My own page, I lead a pretty quiet life so I am very particular about privacy settings.

I think when I was younger I would have loved Facebook even more because it's a good way to touch base with family and friends. Funny thing is when I see someone with 900 friends. Quite truthfully, I don't think I even know 900 people at the present moment to Friend. Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

FB is what *you* make it. You can lock it down to completely keep out anyone you don't know or don't want to Friend. You can set it so only certain people can see certain posts.  You can follow people and Pages YOU want to. No one is forcing you to Like something.

If some of your Friends or family bore you or post things you don't want to see, you can set it so that you don't see their posts, and they won't even know.

If you have NO interests at all, NO hobbies, aren't interested in ANY news, and ALL your friends AND family bore you and you hate all family pictures and connections, I'd suggest the problem isn't FB.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

Today's post:

I went to work, I drove home. 😆

Esteemed Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

Today's post:

I went to work, I drove home. 😆

Respected Contributor

I don't get it either! If I had to judge by the people I know who are addicted to FB I'd say it helps keep nosy people in everyone's business! I had same experience as you! 

I waited as as long as I could to get a cell phone as I didn't want to be available to some people all the time! What really makes me angry is when people won't understand that I don't keep the darn thing attached to my hip 24/7! 

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

It seems the difference is people who are fairly social beings and enjoy a circle of people they keep in touch with, and those who don't enjoy interaction with others.  For the most part.

Honored Contributor

Narcissists, lol.

Seriously though, no idea what the fascination is but most I know have slowly stopped using it. It was so annoying.

Honored Contributor

Two days ago my first cousin posted a photo from the late 1940's of my mother, her grandmother, two of her sisters and her sister in law. what a joy it was to see them all in their younger days and comparing notes with one another about who looked like who.

The best part was that my niece saw this photo because she never got to meet four of the people in the photo.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson