Super Contributor

@SuhseK I find it very hard to believe that Wash would be number 1 for anything- I lived in Puyallup for over 30 years and worked in Tacoma for most of it and I can say without a doubt that Wash sucks- the people are just rude and very clickish, the weather is awful- nothing to do and cost of living is higher than AZ where I am now- you can have it, Wash is in my rear view mirror- AZ is much nicer

Respected Contributor

I have never been there, but my sisters have, and they said they could easily move there tomorrow. The photos I have seen are beautiful, and the culture seems amazing. My coworkers from Seattle are all down-to-earth, smart, and wonderful people. They have certainly been good ambassadors for the state! Doing a Washington/Vancouver trip is definitely on my bucket list!

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

My son lived on Whidbey Island for a year and loved it.  Said it reminded him of a New England town. 

Am sure he would move at the opportunity as he lives on Long Island and hates it.

Respected Contributor

Washington state is beautiful, I'm surprised how few people actually looked up the article to see what the criteria is.

My state of Virginia is ranked number seven and is the top ranked southern state. 

Esteemed Contributor
I’ve seriously begun to look at a trip there in August, so this post is very well timed!
Honored Contributor

Re: Washington is #1

[ Edited ]

In view of last year's events (not allowed here for discussion) I sure question who they chose as #1 .......I heard the weather in that part of the country brought on  lots of depression too.....

JMHO I think this is  all relative....personal preference on what each person considers to be important and their likes/dislikes...

And as far as my State---Texas---I puzzled by some of the rankings....

Really low in opportunity yet all kinds of businesses and lots of people are moving here....🤔  Very affordable place to live and no State income tax either!

Healthcare really---some of the top hospitals in the U.S. are in Houston...and in our city the health care industry is one of the top categories and keeps growing and growing..... I guess there are some of the medium sized and smaller cities in certain areas that are pulling our rankings down in some categories and H Town and little D have crime problems....  Our city has really stepped up as far as the enviornmental concerns with expansion of parks and walking/hiking trails....Now Education is a problemin our city and State, the "educators" seem to just be more concerned with marks for the students on the STARS tests than actually giving them an education the rest of the year.....and actually teaching kids stuff ....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Super Contributor

I would like to know who ranks the states.  So many factors to consider.  I believe that every state has cities and towns that would qualify as #1.  It really depends on a person's individual tastes and their values.  

Honored Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

Washington state is beautiful, I'm surprised how few people actually looked up the article to see what the criteria is.

My state of Virginia is ranked number seven and is the top ranked southern state. 

@Bhvbum  I don't think many people looked at the reasons either. 

Honored Contributor

@Northern Belle 2 wrote:

I would like to know who ranks the states.  So many factors to consider.  I believe that every state has cities and towns that would qualify as #1.  It really depends on a person's individual tastes and their values.  

@Northern Belle 2  Looks like they only considered the factors listed in the article.

Honored Contributor

Re: Washington is #1

[ Edited ]

@SuhseK      As long as You l do not visit  the swamp city called Seattle being taken over by homeless and those who want no law and order... Seattle is a dangerous place. You probably will get shot, stabbed or robbed each time you go into Seattle.   All the homeless are camped on ever sidewalk and in every park. Child molesters are rampant. Yes.. a lovely city that is for sure.   oh and do watch where you step... human waste and urine is everywhere....

yes... I do live here...