Honored Contributor

@SuhseK wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Maybe not the OP's intention, but this topic easily turns into bashing areas where many of us live. What's the point of that?

First of all, it comes only from an individual's experience or it comes from no experience other that anecdotes or it comes from one's own bias about how different areas are perceived or it comes from knowledge of only some areas in a state, etc. etc.

------

Definitely not my intention. 

You're in LA county?  My late sister in law, who died far too young, was from Redondo Beach. 

She moved from a county, of what, 10 million or so, to very beautiful, but rural, Priest Lake, Idaho. 

Talk about a change!  She and my brother, visited California often.  My brother was so, not, a lover of crowded places, but he loved visiting, and, apparently, quickly mastered Southern California driving. 

No place is perfect. If such places existed, they'd be affordable, only to the very financially elite 😁

I know you had no evil intentions, @SuhseK :-).

We live in Hermosa Beach, which you may know is in between Redondo Beach and Manhattan Beach.

As to your last paragraph, I'm afraid such places already exist.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

I'm happy for anyone who is happy about Washington state being #1.

I've never considered living there.  Never considered visiting. Perhaps if I had to go for a short stint I could manage.  I certainly wouldn't make plans to visit the state though.  The days of more rain than sun would not allow me to live there.  The dreary days would get me down.  I understand that region (along with Oregon) has more rain and dreary than they do Sun. 

Yay, for Washington State!

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

Washington is gorgeous. I've always loved Seattle and want to visit someday. In Washington you've got both mountains and a rainforest in the same state.

Hoh Rain ForesTrees, shrubs, ferns and moss in the Hoh Rain Forest

https://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/visiting-the-hoh.htm

https://www.seattlemet.com/travel-and-outdoors/2015/06/washingtons-six-signature-mountains-are-waiti...

Plus you have the coastline! Amazing place.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@CalminHeart I'm not particularly thrilled about MO now either, but I do love the metro suburb I live in - 110K population - lots of lakes & recreation - good educational system - little crime - historic & pretty downtown. Most importantly - family is here. It does cross my mind to buy a one way ticket to Maui.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

I've lived in ten different states and Washington was my favorite in this country. 

Honored Contributor

@LuvmyLab wrote:

@haddon9  The protests were in Portland, Oregon, not Washington State. Sure, we had some very small ones, like other states, but nothing like Portland. 

@LuvmyLab I did see how bad it was in Portland...it seemed to go on for months!  I thought Seattle was bad too.  Not as bad as Portland though.  My mistake.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@LuvmyLab wrote:

@haddon9  The protests were in Portland, Oregon, not Washington State. Sure, we had some very small ones, like other states, but nothing like Portland. 

@LuvmyLab I did see how bad it was in Portland...it seemed to go on for months!  I thought Seattle was bad too.  Not as bad as Portland though.  My mistake.

And the worst of all was what happened at the other Washington. Now that was really bad. So destructive and animalistic. People left feces on the walls. So disgusting.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

We've been to 28 states and our goal is to visit all of them now that I'm retired.  We're hoping to resume our travels this summer.

Every state I've been to has had beauty in its own right.  From the sandy shores of FL to Lake Winnipesaukee in NH, to the lovely vistas in WY at Ten Sleep and the gorgeous natural arches in Utah.  We've loved it all!  As US citizens we are all so blessed to have such a diverse landscape and such a variety of weather patterns all in our own country.

DH and I live outside a small town in mostly rural PA.  I wouldn't trade living here as it suits my desire to have acreage and my animals.  There are beautiful places to ride my horses and walk my dog.  So, while I wouldn't trade where I live, I also appreciate the chances we've had to visit many other places.

@Kalli I feel the same way.  I'm also in PA but in SE Bucks county.  It's somewhat semi-rural but lots of development too.  I'm a bit of a history buff and love the history here along with the beauty and a dozen covered bridges in the county.

However I love seeing the rest of the country!  I think we're so lucky as Americans to see and appreciate what a beautiful country we have!

Honored Contributor

I love Colorado. Our mayor was on the news the other day and said the population, just in my county, will increase by 250K people by 2030. I've lived here for over fifty years and I have never seen so many people moving here like they have in the past five or so years. It's incredible.

Trusted Contributor

Ranking states based on 70 metrics?  Obviously the ranking would depend on what any individual would find important vs. not important.  How dumb and meaningless.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.