Honored Contributor

Re: Washington State Corrections Employees Can No Long Call Convicted Felons ‘Offenders’

[ Edited ]

Re: Racially insensitive halloween costumes.

Okay, so let's say, for example, that a student somehow rigs up a costume that resembles a lynching of an African-American and wears it on campus.

Should African-American students -- heck, should any students -- just write it off as horseplay? I don't think so. A university is a place of learning, and a student like that should be taught how to live peacefully with others.

I seriously can't believe that some here don't understand how hateful such things are and how hurtful they can be. Apparently, it's no big deal to some of you.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Re: Washington State Corrections Employees Can No Long Call Convicted Felons ‘Offenders’

The whole country is going dip-s#it crazy..............nothing surprises me anymore!

Honored Contributor

@HULAGIRL wrote:

The whole country is going dip-s#it crazy..............nothing surprises me anymore!

Now this I can agree on. But I have a feeling it's for very different reasons, certainly not relating to any minor change of labeling.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Children/Young Adults (American citizens) have to be told in 2016 why people are still mean, short sighted and racist?  Wonder why?  If you were a minority facing a multitude of social and economic issues in this country you might not feel the way you do.  You likely are not (given your handle) so you would never understand it.  It can be hurtful to be considered one of the less desirable and then be mocked for it.

Counseling is a bad thing?  Of course not.  Is counseling for drug addiction a good thing?  Yes.  Is counseling in any form or shape a bad thing?  Likely not.  Why does it disturb someone like you that some people want and need counseling @Irshgrl31201.

I am back and I would like to comment on this. You have no idea what I am or am not or what I have been through. I happen to have a daughter who is black and I faced many ignorant racists in the town I lived while dating and living with her father and raising her as a single mother. Really angry people. As long as people in this world are different whether that be skin tone, religion, culture, there will always be hate and racism. That is just a fact. We may grow as a culture and not see such extreme examples, but it will always exist and that is just a fact. I have raised my daughter with the common sense to know that those who dislike her because of her race has nothing to do with her and it is their ignorance and cowardice, nothing at all to do with her. We have free speech in this country and that even protects hate speech to some extent so I find it disturbing that someone who is college age would need to be counseled over a Halloween costume they found offensive.

Someone like you? If I was easily offended I would need counseling for that statement. It doesn't disturb me, I find it ridiculous that someone would need counseling over a Halloween costume. As a business owner I certainly wouldn't hire someone so unstable and sensitive to ever work for me because they would be complaining over every imagined and even real slights that people deal with everyday without having a meltdown. I can't even imagine someone so sensitive out in the workforce, at least not without a HR file 3 inches thick and having to take more mental health days than days actually worked. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

Crazy. What is this world coming to? I don't know who came up with this, but when their child is raped or murdered, are they gonna be calling the perp an individual, a student or a patient??? 

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Okay, so let's say, for example, that a student somehow rigs up a costume that resembles a lynching of an African-American and wears it on campus.

Should African-American students -- heck, should any students -- just right it off as horseplay? I don't think so. A university is a place of learning, and a student like that should be taught how to live peacefully with others.

I seriously can't believe that some here don't understand how hateful such things are and how hurtful they can be. Apparently, it's no big deal to some of you.

Then said student, who I am assuming is over the age of 18 will also have their running shoes on or face the swift and severe peer punishment due to them.

Trusted Contributor

@maestra wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Should African-American students -- heck, should any students -- just right it off as horseplay? I don't think so. A university is a place of learning, and a student like that should be taught how to live peacefully with others.

Then said student, who I am assuming is over the age of 18 will also have their running shoes on or face the swift and severe peer punishment due to them.

Mob rule is not the answer.

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

No, I don't think that should be considered horseplay. There is also a difference between racial insensitive and inciting hate. While the constitution does protect hate speech it doesn't protect hate speech that incites. Some of these costumes were in bad taste but certainly not in the realm you have mentioned. 

Yes, universities are diverse and my main problem stemmed from a situation that occured at Yale when a professor emailed students that pretty much said you are adults if you don't like a costume someone is wearing, look away or tell them you are offended and why. Talk to each other. That free speech and the ability to tolerate offence are the hallmarks of a free and open society. These two professors were shouted down for what I thought was a very tame email and the students demanded the resignation of both professors (married couple). I certainly think the students have a right to protest but it seems they are protesting to have opinions that don't match with their eradicated entirely in the name of fostering "safe spaces" where students are protected from hurt feelings. I don't agree with that and find it absolutely disappointing. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Super Contributor

Back in the day when I was a young married woman of 19 in 1970, I worked in the Counseling Service as a secretary inside the prison where "inmates" came in for their counselilng.

Back then my brother in law who was a correction officer on death row called them convicts.

Honored Contributor

I guess being called a convict, or offender is better than being called a looser.

Seriously,  I think convict is a good term.  After all, they have been convicted, right?

The term offender is more ambiguous IMO.  A lot of things offend me, but they but aren't "jailable"