Honored Contributor

Washington State Corrections Employees Can No Long Call Convicted Felons ‘Offenders’

You’d have to be convicted of a felony crime to make it into the Washington State DOC prison system, but calling these felons “offenders” has “negative connotations.” DOC employees have told us that in a memo sent out to DOC employees, they are now being told to refer to the convicts as individuals, students, or patients.

http://bluelivesmatter.blue/washington-doc-offenders/

********personally, I will call a felon a felon, a convict a convict, a thug a thug, and a punk a punk. Trying to change words don't erase the truth of the matter.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Washington State Corrections Employees Can No Long Call Convicted Felons ‘Offenders’

@SeaMaiden wrote:

You’d have to be convicted of a felony crime to make it into the Washington State DOC prison system, but calling these felons “offenders” has “negative connotations.” DOC employees have told us that in a memo sent out to DOC employees, they are now being told to refer to the convicts as individuals, students, or patients.

http://bluelivesmatter.blue/washington-doc-offenders/

********personally, I will call a felon a felon, a convict a convict, a thug a thug, and a punk a punk. Trying to change words don't erase the truth of the matter.

I'm offended.

How stupid! I don't care what "pretty bow" they try to put on it, they will always be "offenders" to me. It's supposed to have "negative connotations"!

Honored Contributor

Re: Washington State Corrections Employees Can No Long Call Convicted Felons ‘Offenders’

There must be a reason for it even if I can't think of what it might be.  Maybe it's to treat them as people and individuals.  Whatever.  I don't care if they call them felons or gentlemen or elephants....as long as they keep them behind bars.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm a liberal person but I find this nonsense beyond ridiculous. Maybe these convicted felons won't feel offensive if state employees use euphemisms. That will put them back on the straight-and-narrow...NOT! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It just seems like more and more the criminal is getting more rights than the victims anymore.....due to political correctness or whatever.....soon, drug dealers will be called business entrepreneurs.....

I found this quote and it says it says exactly how I feel about referring to ex convicts  as felons:

“It helps people make important decisions about hiring, about renting, about associating with people who have shown a proclivity to break the law,” he said. “Shame is not a bad thing. It’s helped civilization rise. And people who cannot be trusted, who have committed violent crimes in the past, there’s nothing wrong with calling them exactly what they are – and that is felons.”

Honored Contributor

So these prisoners didn't commit crimes...they just made some mistakes along the way? They are not dangerous felons or thugs they are individuals and students who deserve respect?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dex wrote:

So these prisoners didn't commit crimes...they just made some mistakes along the way? They are not dangerous felons or thugs they are individuals and students who deserve respect?

@dex wrote:

@dex wrote:

@dex wrote:

The article didn't say any of that but rather it seems to suggest that prisoners will feel better about themselves if they are not referred to in a negative manner.  And felon is a negative word.  I think the individuals formerly known as felons think this is as silly as most of us do.  

Esteemed Contributor

We have become a society where no one is to be offended, so we use feel-good words to make criminals feel better.  This does not change the crime and is insulting to the victims; imo this is another crime to the victims. 

There is a community about 8 miles from my home where there is a good bit of crime--drugs dealing and shootings.  The powers that be decided to change the name of the community, hoping that a pretty name would cut down on crime.  Now it is just a pretty-named community with lots more crime.  I call the people who commit the crimes---criminals!

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I'm not really the least bit interested in making felons feel better about themselves.  Were they worried about how their victims felt?   

Honored Contributor

It has alarmed me and disappointed me greatly how convoluted everything has become. Wrong is no longer wrong, expecially if you have money and/or power.  Being right is old-fashioned and gawd help you if you offend someone!!  If you win at something, you are no longer special because everyone gets a trophy or certificate, no one's guilty if they're not caught and everyone can be offended at anything....and are!

Unfortunately, It's where we are now and although there have been some advances socially, bending over backwards far enough to accommodate those that shouldn't be accommodated has made our view of the world dizzingly upside down....

Convluted and upside down....  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*