Honored Contributor

Re: Washington State Corrections Employees Can No Long Call Convicted Felons ‘Offenders’

@chrystaltree wrote:

@dex wrote:

So these prisoners didn't commit crimes...they just made some mistakes along the way? They are not dangerous felons or thugs they are individuals and students who deserve respect?

@dex wrote:

So these prisoners didn't commit crimes...they just made some mistakes along the way? They are not dangerous felons or thugs they are individuals and students who deserve respect?

@dex wrote:

@dex wrote:

The article didn't say any of that but rather it seems to suggest that prisoners will feel better about themselves if they are not referred to in a negative manner.  And felon is a negative word.  I think the individuals formerly known as felons think this is as silly as most of us do.  

The reason they are in there is they feel entitled to break the law, take our stuff, and beat us up.  I think a little dose of humiliation would be in order in those cases.

Respected Contributor

Re: Washington State Corrections Employees Can No Long Call Convicted Felons ‘Offenders’

If it walks like a perp and wears prison garb, it's an offender!

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

It just seems like more and more the criminal is getting more rights than the victims anymore.....due to political correctness or whatever.....soon, drug dealers will be called business entrepreneurs.....

I found this quote and it says it says exactly how I feel about referring to ex convicts  as felons:

“It helps people make important decisions about hiring, about renting, about associating with people who have shown a proclivity to break the law,” he said. “Shame is not a bad thing. It’s helped civilization rise. And people who cannot be trusted, who have committed violent crimes in the past, there’s nothing wrong with calling them exactly what they are – and that is felons.”

@SeaMaiden

The highlighted sentence above is no longer politically correct, or seen as a proper tool in raising children. And it is one major reason why we are where we are today.

People used to have some shame. You were raised to understand what it was, to feel it at some point (usually when your parents pointed out bad behavior and taught you to be ashamed of it) when you did wrong or made bad decisions, and was a valuable tool in learning right from wrong.

I just finished raising a son (now 20) and so many parents today would never shame a child or allow them to feel it. I always believed ( and still do) that the best way to learn things is to experience them. At some point we got away from holding people responsible for their actions, and away from pride in themselves and their good deeds/actions, and shame in their bad ones.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

You’d have to be convicted of a felony crime to make it into the Washington State DOC prison system, but calling these felons “offenders” has “negative connotations.” DOC employees have told us that in a memo sent out to DOC employees, they are now being told to refer to the convicts as individuals, students, or patients.

http://bluelivesmatter.blue/washington-doc-offenders/

********personally, I will call a felon a felon, a convict a convict, a thug a thug, and a punk a punk. Trying to change words don't erase the truth of the matter.

http://www.kiro7.com/news/local/doc-convicted-criminals-should-no-longer-be-called-offenders/4635324...

Get a picture of why this is being done.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

It has alarmed me and disappointed me greatly how convoluted everything has become. Wrong is no longer wrong, expecially if you have money and/or power.  Being right is old-fashioned and gawd help you if you offend someone!!  If you win at something, you are no longer special because everyone gets a trophy or certificate, no one's guilty if they're not caught and everyone can be offended at anything....and are!

Unfortunately, It's where we are now and although there have been some advances socially, bending over backwards far enough to accommodate those that shouldn't be accommodated has made our view of the world dizzingly upside down....

Convluted and upside down....  

It seems as though people think it is their right to live without being offended. 

I think besides this, the most insane thing I have read about the perpetually offended was University of FL offering counselors for students offended by Halloween costumes. Those kids are in store for a big jolt if a Halloween costume offends them.

For the love of all things holy, I didn't read about this. 

Yeah, unfortunately, it is a real thing. I couldn't believe it myself. 

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/university-of-florida-counseling-students-offended-by-halloween-costumes...

This is different.  Children who have others portraying negative images of them as a group is harmful and not good.  This isn't just for a stupid costume.  This is when racially insensitive costumes run amok @Irshgrl31201.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@JillyMarie wrote:

I sent an email to the DOC in Washington state and asked if the heading on this topic was true, partially true or false.  I obtained permission to share the response I received.

Partially true. While Washington State corrections employees, can still use the term “offenders,” the agency is moving away from the term as it has become too broadly used as a descriptor. Secretary Morgan has attempted, and will continue to attempt, to make known that he understands that changes in terminology take time and that there’s no immediate expectation of change in this instance, either. Terminology in policies will occur as the policies come available for their three-year review period.

Secondly, in the Secretary’s memo, there were examples provided of “student” if someone is enrolled in a class or “patient” if someone is being treated in an infirmary; however, all of the individuals who are serving a period of incarceration are “incarcerated individuals” or “inmates.” The only term that was addressed as a shift away was “offender.” There are still plenty of other terms that are technically appropriate given a setting or period of time under which a person is in custody, such as “supervised individual” if in the community.

I’m hopeful that this further explanation is helpful.

@JillyMarie, I went directly to a news source provided within ~ to get an understanding of this.  Thanks for sharing it. 

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

Supervised individual?  

Seriously?

If they are being supervised (true) what difference does supevised inmate mean?  No difference @bri20.  Keyword: SUPERVISED.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

I'm an "individual" and I have nothing in common with a felon.

The best rehab for a felon is to own up & be accountable for exactly what they are - convicts, criminals & felons.   Then move forward.

@SeaMaiden wrote:

You’d have to be convicted of a felony crime to make it into the Washington State DOC prison system, but calling these felons “offenders” has “negative connotations.” DOC employees have told us that in a memo sent out to DOC employees, they are now being told to refer to the convicts as individuals, students, or patients.

********personally, I will call a felon a felon, a convict a convict, a thug a thug, and a punk a punk. Trying to change words don't erase the truth of the matter.

Esteemed Contributor

@software wrote:

I'm an "individual" and I have nothing in common with a felon.

The best rehab for a felon is to own up & be accountable for exactly what they are - convicts, criminals & felons.   Then move forward.

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Read WHY!!! @software

http://www.kiro7.com/news/local/doc-convicted-criminals-should-no-longer-be-called-offenders/4635324...

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

I think this is some attempt to reduce the rate of recidivism.  Just my opinion.  I think policymakers see the doors continue to be a in/out situation for many and they are trying to use this as a tool to get them to look upon themselves in a different light.  I read this already, and this is my take away.

I don't think it can hurt, but whether it will help is yet to be determined.  If it is a good idea for Washington, maybe other states may consider it.  Who knows?  It would be good to do a longitudinal study of this. 

Finally, I'm sure Academia and part of the medical community had some hand in shaping this new policy.

*Call Tyrone*