Esteemed Contributor

Re: Walmart Greeter keeps his job

@pitdakota wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@alarmclock wrote:

No.  Walmart closing would HELP people.  The little people that THEY put out of business when they came to town.

Great, close Walmart and let the approximately 1.4 million it directly employs in the U.S. (2.3 million worldwide) get hired by the mom and pop businesses that will pop up once Walmart is gone.  Of course even established moms and pops would not be able to absorb that many new employees but what the heck.

Oh, while we're closing Walmart and firing 1.4 million U.S. workers let us not overlook the collateral damage of millions more becoming unemployed because support and provider companies no longer have Walmart to sell their products and services to.

I agree @Marp. Not to mention that it is very hard for those Mom and Pop future businesses to obtain small business loans today to even start up a business.  It is a totally different business & economic environment out there today than it was when Walmart was getting its stores established around the country.  Doesn't mean that some aren't successful in establishing a small business, but most just would not be able to get the finances today to even get their business up and running.  And those that do obtain the resources have a very difficult challenge being successful over time.  Essentially, that ship has already sailed.   

I don't happen to shop at Walmart much for other reasons (mainly proximity of a store) but there is no way I believe that if Walmart closed period that it would help anyone at all.  

I am glad that Walmart has reconfigured the job position to accomodate this young lad and hopefully other disabled and older individuals.  Both are precious members of our society that should be afforded the opportunity to contribute to a job position.   Our Kroger hires quite a few disabled young individuals and I love it!   Honestly, there are days where they just make my day when I am not in a particularly good mood and having to shop for groceries.  Puts a smile on my face!  

It amazes me sometimes how little some people know how business works.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I don't shop at Wal Mart, but my husband does.  He buys prescription medicine there.  He says the store has never had any greeters of any kind.  It's not small, a super store with groceries in it.  Even  when leaving, they don't swarm over you like they do in the local Costco. 

Honored Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

Being part of the work force means sometimes you lose your job..we say we want people with disabilities to be treated like everyone else but we really don't. Hire them, oh isn't that nice...let them go, it's disgraceful. I understand the changes Walmart is making because customers shopping habits have changed, I don't like it but nobody is owed a job. 

ITA

And it’s a matter of time, after all the attention this is getting,

where someone from an official disabilities or elderly organization

will pounce on Walmart for making these kids & elderly folks

‘mascots’ for the big, bad, evil Walmart corporation.’

‘They lost their dignity!’

Mark my words. 

Funny thing...at the end of the day, everyone’s pretty happy with

the situation. Everyone except social media, who likes to make 

something out of nothing. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Harvard99 wrote:

This was shocking to me. In the past, Walmart took out life insurance policies on tens of thousands low level employees and those payouts were used to bolster the slush funds of their top level execs. They stopped this practice when the widows and widowers of many deceased employees sued them. The TV show 60 Minutes exposed this nationwide.

@Harvard99  This is not just a WM issue.

These policies, Corporate Owned Life Insurance or COLI, are known as "Dead Peasant Insurance" 

This practice dates back to the 1930's btw, long before Wal-Mart showed up.

Wine-Dixie was one of the first to be be brought to public attention. Proctor-Gamble and many others had COLI policies.

I don't know which companies still practice this and while there have been lawsuits against Wal-Mart there have been lawsuits against other companies.

It's legal, although now employees have to be notified and agree to the policy.

I'm not completely sure that the policies were used as a slush fund for bonuses; my understanding was that the cash value was borrowed to pay for other corporate debts.

I am not defending WM by any means, but it is unrealistic when only WM is singled out for using COLI.

How do you know Costco doesn't do the same thing to fund the benefits it pays out to "low level" workers???

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Harvard99 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@TY wrote:

@Kachina624 

People with disablilities who work there aren't asking for a handout from Walmart. They have a job and they want to be accomodated. It's always a fight for them to keep the rights that they have. I have a disabled nephew so I know how much his mom and dad have to advocate for him.

If Walmart wants to treat their employees like this I can take my shopping dollars elsewhere. Just a quick glance at my Adobe photo album where I keep photos of my clothes and beauty purchases shows I spent at least $100 on those items alone at Walmart Canada in the month of February. That much money and more will be likely going elsewhere now. And Walmart Canada is very convenient for me, it's in a nearby mall and it's easy to get to and it stays open late. But those conveniences won't outweigh how I feel about them now.

XXXX

If you choose not to shop at Walmart, that is your choice.  If you make a decision not to shop at places who do not treat their employees well, you will have a small pool of places to shops at.

@Carmie  Your last paragraph is very bothersome to me.  Sometimes people just have enough with companies that treat employees poorly. The only way to disagree with the philosophy and actions of a business is to do that with your money.

For example, Costco,  a hugely successful international business attained that status while also treating their employees like gold, like family. The last CEO, now retired, only took about $350K annual salary, because he thought he really didn't "need" more.  I wonder what the Walmart CEO and other execs take.

This was shocking to me. In the past, Walmart took out life insurance policies on tens of thousands low level employees and those payouts were used to bolster the slush funds of their top level execs. They stopped this practice when the widows and widowers of many deceased employees sued them. The TV show 60 Minutes exposed this nationwide.

I found this absolutely despicable, Walmart didn't even pay them a living wage and provide medical benefits when the employee was alive?  No wonder they didn't provide medical, they wanted them dead.

It's just wrong in every way when a long term employee is terminated without justifiable cause.

When people just roll over and think it's OK for companies to behave like this, it's a sad day.  If you don't demand what's right, you get what you ask for.

I don't understand what is bothersome to you about my last paragraph.  The point is, there are so many places that treat their employees bad and I bet you still purchase from them.  If you didn't, you would have a small number of places to shop.  That is the truth!

in Virginia, a young man died while at work when he had a heart attack. He was running around the warehouse trying to meet his quota which is normally 100 items an hour. Did you know that Amazon does not allow ambulances to be called right away?  You must call their security personal first , who will call an ambulance if they feel one is needed.  Time was wasted and a man less then 30 years old, married with three small children is now dead.

here in PA, a warehouse got  to be over 100 degrees and employees were dropping like flies.  Amazon just took them outside to receive first aid and sent them back inside to work.  There is no AC or heat in their warehouse. OSHA has sighted them for many violations.

Did you know that employees must make a quota while picking merchandise? If they don't meet it they will be fired.  Employees are fired for calling off one sick day or for having to use the restroom while they are working.

I could go on and on...and yes, I find this troubling.  How many times have you seen the praises on these boards about Amazon sending their items out immediately and how wonderful that is?  Yes, it is wonderful for the customer, but pure hell for Amazon employees.

And everyday all over America, long term employees are let go for what you said is not a justifiable cause.  A former boss of mine who worked for the company for 40 years starting right out of college, was let go the day he returned from vacation because he was no longer needed.  Of course, he got retirement benefits, but he had two kids in college at the time.  how just was that?

The reality....He was let go because he was making too much money after 40 years and his retirement benefits were going up.

They replaced him with a new hire, a young man who didn't know what he was doing, but they could pay him much less.

The Hershey Company here in PA, laid off thousands of workers and took their business to Mexico.  Right now a friend of mine who still works at Hershey in the office is on egg shells because she got wind that her office job is being elimitated.  She has worked  there for over 25 years, but is way too young to retire.

People are let go everywhere. if businesses don't watch their bottom line, they will go under.

Walmart is far from being perfect, but they aren't the worse.  They just get the most coverage from the media.

Trusted Contributor

Now Walmart is bad because they bring crime to the community? Um what. Do they invite them? Oh wait maybe you mean they bring in low income people which in some cases may mean a not great element along with them. Maybe these can all be replaced with a Whole Foods. No crime then I guess. But of course poor people can't afford to shop there.

So now that the Walmart greeters are saved even though they didn't seem to be in a lot of danger of losing their jobs, who's next? Maybe everyone should gang up on Target for not having greeters. Or maybe shopping networks?

Honored Contributor

Businesses and corporations, contrary to what some think, are NOT people. They are entities that exist solely to make a profit.

They can do so morally and ethically or they can be driven by the bottom line to such an extent that it can have major adverse effects on society.

Changing a job description is not evil; doing what can be done to lessen the impact on employees is is moral and ethical. Sometimes what is good for business AND what is moral and ethical can be combined. But the latter is often just a part of that bottom line in that businesses do not want bad press.

But the bottom line, pun intended, is that totally left on their own, corporations will always look out for profit above all else. That's the reason we don't we don't favor a laissez-faire approach ( I know of no country that does) but rather a combination of freedom and regulation.

This may seem O//T, but it really isn't.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@Mombo1 wrote:

So happy for Adam K. From Selinsgrove WalMart.  Today he was offered a new position as a Self Serve Checkout host.  For those of you who were following this story...and commented on this forum earlier...this is the update.  He was a greeter for 10 years.  He has a disability and his job as a greeter was eliminated.  Many people were upset for him, as he is a well loved employee.  Today he was offered a new position. 

@Mombo1So glad he's still got a job.  BUT I can see instances where he might need to lift heavy things as a self serve checkout host more than I can see him lifting things as a greeter.

Greeting is greeting.  At self serve checkout, he may be asked to help someone lift something from their cart.

He should have been "grandfathered" where he was.  I don't understand the motivation of some people.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@Mombo1 wrote:

So happy for Adam K. From Selinsgrove WalMart.  Today he was offered a new position as a Self Serve Checkout host.  For those of you who were following this story...and commented on this forum earlier...this is the update.  He was a greeter for 10 years.  He has a disability and his job as a greeter was eliminated.  Many people were upset for him, as he is a well loved employee.  Today he was offered a new position. 

@Mombo1So glad he's still got a job.  BUT I can see instances where he might need to lift heavy things as a self serve checkout host more than I can see him lifting things as a greeter.

Greeting is greeting.  At self serve checkout, he may be asked to help someone lift something from their cart.

He should have been "grandfathered" where he was.  I don't understand the motivation of some people.

@esmerelda, I'm guessing that because the job category itself  was eliminated, it would have seemed like favortism to grandfather only this individual. I gather that many of the greeters are disabled in some way.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Harvard99 wrote:

@Harvard99  This is not just a WM issue.

These policies, Corporate Owned Life Insurance or COLI, are known as "Dead Peasant Insurance" 

This practice dates back to the 1930's btw, long before Wal-Mart showed up.

Wine-Dixie was one of the first to be be brought to public attention. Proctor-Gamble and many others had COLI policies.

I don't know which companies still practice this and while there have been lawsuits against Wal-Mart there have been lawsuits against other companies.

It's legal, although now employees have to be notified and agree to the policy.

I'm not completely sure that the policies were used as a slush fund for bonuses; my understanding was that the cash value was borrowed to pay for other corporate debts.

I am not defending WM by any means, but it is unrealistic when only WM is singled out for using COLI.

How do you know Costco doesn't do the same thing to fund the benefits it pays out to "low level" workers???

@Cakers3    As you said, it is not illegal for companies to do this. However,  most believe that Dead Peasants Insurance is an unethical and defenseless corporate practice.  That's why mentioning this was appropriate when discussing Walmart in particular and as you said, legally, employees must now be notified. 

Costco does not do this, all I'll say is I know this for certain and unlike Walmart, they've never been sued for this in the past.