Trusted Contributor

Walmart Greeter keeps his job

So happy for Adam K. From Selinsgrove WalMart.  Today he was offered a new position as a Self Serve Checkout host.  For those of you who were following this story...and commented on this forum earlier...this is the update.  He was a greeter for 10 years.  He has a disability and his job as a greeter was eliminated.  Many people were upset for him, as he is a well loved employee.  Today he was offered a new position. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Walmart Greeter keeps his job

This is wonderful news.  Good that he got media coverage, for that reason he was kept on.

Honored Contributor

It's very nice that he was kept on but what about all the other disabled and elderly who need their greeter jobs?

Honored Contributor

I had read that a pizza place down the street from WM had offered him a job; guess WM probably offered him a raise also.  Am glad he has a new position....but I hate he was used as a way for WM to get better press...I get pretty irritated when I see a big company like WM treating anyone with a disability the way they did. Maybe the WM legal dept told management how many different ways they were violating the ADA.

Esteemed Contributor

I was chatting with a neighbor (retired grocery supervisor) and he said that from observing changes at our local WM that the company is in a labor reduction mode.  I remembered that when I heard about cutting out greeters.  I get why they are doing this but it should be reduction by attrition, not mandate!

Honored Contributor

I’m happy he is staying with the company which employed 

him for 10 years. I believe they offered him a job right

from the start so I’m proud he didn’t let negative social media

influence him to leave the company he likes. 

Esteemed Contributor

Jay Melton, a NC Walmart greeter for 17 years has also accepted the new Self Serve Checkout Host.  From local news reports it sounds like this is the solution Walmart has come up with and will be offered to all 30+ affected disability greeters.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

I love when stores hire people who are physically or mentally challenged. They take their job seriously and are very hard workers. My local CVS has a young man named Sean, he is the nicest and friendliest worker, whenever I go to CVS I seek him out and say hello.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wonder how many potential employers will not hire a disabled person because of the publicity this case has generated?  They'd think twice over the possibility of becoming embroiled in a similar brewhaha.  No good deed goes unpunished.

I wonder how many seniors subsisting on minimal social security and using their Walmart wages to supplement it, will be out of work because they dont have a pushy mama to advocate for them (or support them)?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I am glad that he was able to keep working at Walmart.  While Walmart always gets such bad publicity, it is important to note that many companies are eliminating jobs.  I just found out that our Y has cut almost all higher paying jobs and replacing with either volunteers (they hope) or people who will work for $10 an hour, which is not a living wage.   I find things like this to be shameful.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!