Honored Contributor

Re: Walmart Greeter keeps his job

@TY.   In the interest of maintaining international relations, we'll have to agree to disagree.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@TY.  A question just occured to me, in Canada do you call Indians Native Americans (for North America) or Native Canadians?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I for one am glad to hear this.☺
Honored Contributor

@TY wrote:

@Kachina624 

People with disablilities who work there aren't asking for a handout from Walmart. They have a job and they want to be accomodated. It's always a fight for them to keep the rights that they have. I have a disabled nephew so I know how much his mom and dad have to advocate for him.

If Walmart wants to treat their employees like this I can take my shopping dollars elsewhere. Just a quick glance at my Adobe photo album where I keep photos of my clothes and beauty purchases shows I spent at least $100 on those items alone at Walmart Canada in the month of February. That much money and more will be likely going elsewhere now. And Walmart Canada is very convenient for me, it's in a nearby mall and it's easy to get to and it stays open late. But those conveniences won't outweigh how I feel about them now.

What other stores do you shop at?  How many disabled people have they hired over the past 20 years.  Do they employ the disabled  and if so how many who are only able greet patrons?

Some of Walmarts competors are Amazon and Target.  I have never seen a greeter in Target and I know 100% for a fact that Amazon does not treat their employees well.  Do you shop there?

i live in PA not too far from where Adam lives and works.  He was told by his manager that his position would be elimated and the greeters were being transitions into a host job.  Because Adam could not do the duties of the host job, his manager told him he would find another position for him.

He was NEVER in danger of losing employement at Walmart.  His mother just threw a fit on Facebook and it went viral. Do you think Amazon or Target would have hired him 10 years ago with his disabilities? what other places would even offer him a job?

If you choose not to shop at Walmart, that is your choice.  If you make a decision not to shop at places who do not treat their employees well, you will have a small pool of places to shops at.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@TY.  Wal-Mart is not a social service agency set up to subsidise groups of "special" individuals who want jobs.  They are very active in supporting local charitable organizations but they must be competitive in the retail world.  They provide jobs for thousands of people, many in small communities with few other opportunities. 

When in your country, we stopped at a Walmart in a place in Alberta called Pitcher Creek (Pincher?).   It was a small store and most of the help appeared to be Indian.  The only other business we could see was a motel.  It was out in the middle of nowhere.  Think what jobs must mean to these people, yet Walmart is constantly demonized.  Everything they do is wrong.  I wonder what the effect would be on the world economy if they went out of business?  It would be a disaster for the US.

Walmart is bad news. I disagree with everything here.

Trusted Contributor

@alarmclock wrote:

No.  Walmart closing would HELP people.  The little people that THEY put out of business when they came to town.

@alarmclock   I could not agree more, they're a bad company who only do good for themselves, no one else. They treat their employees and vendors like cr-p.  They destroy communities and create crime.. They're parking lots are a virtual magnet for criminals.  There's many articles witten on the destruction caused by Walmart.  A disgusting store and company.

Trusted Contributor

@TY wrote:

@Kachina624 

People with disablilities who work there aren't asking for a handout from Walmart. They have a job and they want to be accomodated. It's always a fight for them to keep the rights that they have. I have a disabled nephew so I know how much his mom and dad have to advocate for him.

If Walmart wants to treat their employees like this I can take my shopping dollars elsewhere. Just a quick glance at my Adobe photo album where I keep photos of my clothes and beauty purchases shows I spent at least $100 on those items alone at Walmart Canada in the month of February. That much money and more will be likely going elsewhere now. And Walmart Canada is very convenient for me, it's in a nearby mall and it's easy to get to and it stays open late. But those conveniences won't outweigh how I feel about them now.

@TY  Thanks for your thoughts on this matter. I also cannot say enough bad things about this company.  There's another thread about Walmart this week, and some posters tried to rip me to shreds for my opinion, but I don't care.

I stopped shopping at Walmart about 7 or 8 years ago, they are the scurge of the retail world, even most corporations.  It is nothing personal, after becoming educated on their tactics, treatment of employees and suppliers, as well as the damage and crime they bring to communities I made that decision.

Trusted Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@TY wrote:

@Kachina624 

What other stores do you shop at?  How many disabled people have they hired over the past 20 years.  Do they employ the disabled  and if so how many who are only able greet patrons?

Some of Walmarts competors are Amazon and Target.  I have never seen a greeter in Target and I know 100% for a fact that Amazon does not treat their employees well.  Do you shop there?

i live in PA not too far from where Adam lives and works.  He was told by his manager that his position would be elimated and the greeters were being transitions into a host job.  Because Adam could not do the duties of the host job, his manager told him he would find another position for him.

He was NEVER in danger of losing employement at Walmart.  His mother just threw a fit on Facebook and it went viral. Do you think Amazon or Target would have hired him 10 years ago with his disabilities? what other places would even offer him a job?

If you choose not to shop at Walmart, that is your choice.  If you make a decision not to shop at places who do not treat their employees well, you will have a small pool of places to shops at.

@Carmie  Your last paragraph is very bothersome to me.  Sometimes people just have enough with companies that treat employees poorly. The only way to disagree with the philosophy and actions of a business is to do that with your money.

For example, Costco,  a hugely successful international business attained that status while also treating their employees like gold, like family. The last CEO, now retired, only took about $350K annual salary, because he thought he really didn't "need" more.  I wonder what the Walmart CEO and other execs take.

This was shocking to me. In the past, Walmart took out life insurance policies on tens of thousands low level employees and those payouts were used to bolster the slush funds of their top level execs. They stopped this practice when the widows and widowers of many deceased employees sued them. The TV show 60 Minutes exposed this nationwide.

I found this absolutely despicable, Walmart didn't even pay them a living wage and provide medical benefits when the employee was alive?  No wonder they didn't provide medical, they wanted them dead.

It's just wrong in every way when a long term employee is terminated without justifiable cause.

When people just roll over and think it's OK for companies to behave like this, it's a sad day.  If you don't demand what's right, you get what you ask for.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Marp wrote:

@alarmclock wrote:

No.  Walmart closing would HELP people.  The little people that THEY put out of business when they came to town.

Great, close Walmart and let the approximately 1.4 million it directly employs in the U.S. (2.3 million worldwide) get hired by the mom and pop businesses that will pop up once Walmart is gone.  Of course even established moms and pops would not be able to absorb that many new employees but what the heck.

Oh, while we're closing Walmart and firing 1.4 million U.S. workers let us not overlook the collateral damage of millions more becoming unemployed because support and provider companies no longer have Walmart to sell their products and services to.

I agree @Marp. Not to mention that it is very hard for those Mom and Pop future businesses to obtain small business loans today to even start up a business.  It is a totally different business & economic environment out there today than it was when Walmart was getting its stores established around the country.  Doesn't mean that some aren't successful in establishing a small business, but most just would not be able to get the finances today to even get their business up and running.  And those that do obtain the resources have a very difficult challenge being successful over time.  Essentially, that ship has already sailed.   

I don't happen to shop at Walmart much for other reasons (mainly proximity of a store) but there is no way I believe that if Walmart closed period that it would help anyone at all.  

I am glad that Walmart has reconfigured the job position to accomodate this young lad and hopefully other disabled and older individuals.  Both are precious members of our society that should be afforded the opportunity to contribute to a job position.   Our Kroger hires quite a few disabled young individuals and I love it!   Honestly, there are days where they just make my day when I am not in a particularly good mood and having to shop for groceries.  Puts a smile on my face!  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Being part of the work force means sometimes you lose your job..we say we want people with disabilities to be treated like everyone else but we really don't. Hire them, oh isn't that nice...let them go, it's disgraceful. I understand the changes Walmart is making because customers shopping habits have changed, I don't like it but nobody is owed a job.