Esteemed Contributor

Re: W.H.O. Officially Designates Coronavirus a Pandemic

@Drythe wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

A Pandemic means it has spread over a large region, multiple,continents or worldwide. It doesn't mean anything else. You don't even need many people who are affected to have a Pandemic.

The world had a Pandemic in 2009 with the H1N1.  I'll bet many people don't even remember and that was only 11 years ago.

Exactly.  I barely remember the H1N1.  The media is really going overboard on this one, in my opinion.  "If it bleeds, it leads" is the saying.  While we should all be informed and concerned, I think the hype and count is just freaking people out too much.  We all need to take a breath (away from others) and calm down.

This is not 'overboard'.

This is not 'hype.'

This is not 'media.'

People are dying.

This is a WORLDWIDE issue.

As much as some like to make this about American media

and American politics...it is NOT. Srsly.  Educate yourself.

People are dying?  Stop the presses.  People die from the flu.  People die from car accidents.  People die from gun shots.  Take precautions and live your life. No sense getting all freaked out about it.

@Puppy Lips 

How is your business doing?

Hope all is going well.

@Drythe Not well.  But thanks for asking.  We are not alone.  And while I don't want any businesses to suffer, there is some sort of comfort in that.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Anonymous032819 

I feel like you're trying to convince yourself this isn't a thing...

and it's really bothering you.  

The whole World is behind the us believers.

Only a small % of people don't believe it. 

In the meantime...throw as many stats out as you want.

It doesn't change anything....and it's not going away anytime soon.

And you would be wrong.

Does it exist?

Yes, it does.

Is everybody who tests positive going to turn in to a zombie and drop dead?

No, they're not.

Will  some people die?

Yes, some will.

But the MAJORITY won't, and it's better to focus on the GOOD news, rather than to stay mired in the negative news.

Staying informed, in a very fluid and changing situation, getting or being prepared, and sharing what you know, hear, read etc. isn't being mired in negative news. It's called reality. 

And anyone who has need to be in that reality, the elderly, the compromised, or those of us that have to live with/care for those people, will continue to be vigilant. Not anything wrong in the least with that.

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips 

Thanks for the response.  

I’ve been thinking of you and wanted to ask, but didn’t want to be nosy.

Be well and be sure to take time daily to do what relaxes you. 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Free2be   Are there more than 40 people a day who have Corona symptoms that are not getting tested?

You cannot be tested if you show no symptoms or if you haven't been exposed to somone who tested positive.

It is not prudent or necessary to test people who just want to be tested, just in case they might have it.  You could test negative today, but be exposed next week.  How many times should someone without symptoms be allowed to be tested?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: W.H.O. Officially Designates Coronavirus a Pandesmic

@reiki604 wrote:

@Free2be wrote:

I just read that Oregon can test, as of today, only 40 people a day.  Unbelievable.  You may ask where I read this:  online at Live Science.  There is a long article full of information but that one bit floored me.

The availability of testing is stilll unbelievably inadequate. The only logical explaination is that with so few tests being done, the numbers of infected seem lower. Don't you realize it's all about the numbers and placing blame.

Isn’t private lab testing available?  You need a Rx from a doctor but that shouldn’t be difficult to get.

The reporting from private labs and hospitals should be happening now, at least I hope so.  Anyone know?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Snoopp wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

@Free2be wrote:

I just read that Oregon can test, as of today, only 40 people a day.  Unbelievable.  You may ask where I read this:  online at Live Science.  There is a long article full of information but that one bit floored me.

The availability of testing is stilll unbelievably inadequate. The only logical explaination is that with so few tests being done, the numbers of infected seem lower. Don't you realize it's all about the numbers and placing blame.

Isn’t private lab testing available?  You need a Rx from a doctor but that shouldn’t be difficult to get.

The reporting from private labs and hospitals should be happening now, at least I hope so.  Anyone know?

It is my understanding ( and I may not be totally up to date) is that the tests are not available and the criteria to be tested is very high. In NYC testing is only available despite an MD order if you have been diagnosed with pnuemonia, have a fever, and are negative for flu. Someone pretty much has to be admitted into a hospital already. Tests are not available here for milder symptoms. There are simply not enough tests available. South Korea tests 10000 people a day, the US has tested 11000 in total.  NYS is trying to get government approval that is needed to use private labs to test. 

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51860529 

This artlice will possibly answer some questions posed here. It can also be found by googling Coronavirus: US is failing on testing says Fauci.

This is how they are doing it in South Korea. Notice the woman in this example didn't have to plead to anyone for a test, clearly she was considered eligible:

In a car park behind a hospital in Seoul, 45-year-old Rachel Kim rolls down her car window and sticks out her tongue. She travelled to Daegu last week, the area with the highest number of coronavirus cases in South Korea.

Now she's developed a bad cough and a fever. Fearing the worst, she decided to get a Covid-19 test at one of the dozens of drive-through centres. Two people dressed head-to-toe in white protective clothing, clear goggles and surgical face masks are ready for her.

A long swab stick is rummaged around the back of her mouth and throat and then placed carefully into a long test tube.

Then comes the tough bit. The swab goes right up her nose. She screws up her eyes in discomfort, but the whole thing is over in minutes. She rolls up her car window and off she drives. She will get a call if the result is positive, or a text if it's negative.

Nearly 20,000 people are being tested every day for coronavirus in South Korea, more people per capita than anywhere else in the world.

Rachel's sample is quickly shipped off to a nearby laboratory where staff are working 24 hours a day to process the results

And as for Rachel Kim, she got a text the day after her test. She doesn't have coronavirus. But she's glad she got tested.

"Better to know", she said, "and that way I am not a danger to others."

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Snoopp wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

@Free2be wrote:

@Snoopp 

This is a reportable disease and all COVID19 tests should be reported to the CDC.

Today I talked with three Physician friends, Primary Care, Emergency Room, and Anesthesiology. I was told by all

1 - they look for flu symptoms and any possible exposure,

2- they test for regular flu if + they treat for Regular flu,

3- If negative then test for COVID19 - IF a test is available.

The big batch of 400,000 test kits that the pres promised earlier in the week has not arrived to anyone I know, and tests are still limited. As test kits become more available no doubt the protocol will change.  Just BTW the ER Dr. I spoke with is in the largest ER center in my state, not some small town.

As @reiki604  mentioned, the limited number of tests drives down the numbers and thus the narrative.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras