Valued Contributor

Re: W.H.O. Officially Designates Coronavirus a Pandemic

@Puppy Lips  The "19" part of the name is the shortened version of 2019; when the virus came into existence. 

The amount of tests that have been administered in our country should be a relatively easy stat to find, until you try to find it. Because it is not required that all tests be sent to CDC, there are some private labs who have administered the test but are not necessarily counted in the numbers below:

As of either yesterday or day before (I can't remember) there was 8,800 tests that had been administered in the U.S. I rounded that number for ease of discussion. 

8,800 is the number of tests only; not the number of patients. To get a confirmed positive multiple tests are most often done on each patient. So, again for the sake of ease, we'll cut that number down to 4,400 tests administered. 

We have over 1,000 confirmed cases in the U.S. per John Hopkins.......even with my lousy math, we are looking about a fourth of people testing turning out to be positive. 

1 in 4 people testing positive for this virus. 

Many hospitals, including my own, have publicly declared they are saving the tests they have for only the severe inpatient cases and for healthcare workers in the line of fire (makes sense to me). 

What I am struggling with is why can our country not administer more tests? Why are we not required to have one central reporting organization? How can we be expected to get ahead of it if we can't even figure out the best way to track results? 

And why isn't this information more transparent? 

In my personal opinion this all comes down to money, as most things generally do. And there will be many "losers" by the time this is all said and done. 

I don't think it had to be this way, and that makes me angry.

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Honored Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

There is a huge massive gigantic positive here.  The underbelly of our woefully inadequate health care and social nets to catch at several levels have been exposed.  They would not be fixed without this terrible but necessary exposure.  We have to be sure none of it swept under any rugs.

It's downright embarrasing, on a world wide stage, to see how the American people have literally been left out to hang in the wind, unrealized until now to this extent and still the urge for secrecy at our peril has been a primary concern.

Big changes must take place that will take years to implement.  We should never more tolerate being patted on the head and told we have the best when we don't.

We've seen the underbelly exposed. 

So,which countries have better health care  and are dealing with this issue in a more prudent manner?

If you know of one, let me know.  The last time I looked this coronavirus is just about everywhere.  Hospitals are running out of beds and breathing machines and in many countries, the care is pretty primitive.

We do have the best and we have the means to receive the best care possible.  If I was sick, there is no other place I'd want to be but the USA.

Embarrassed? I think not!

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

A Pandemic means it has spread over a large region, multiple,continents or worldwide. It doesn't mean anything else. You don't even need many people who are affected to have a Pandemic.

The world had a Pandemic in 2009 with the H1N1.  I'll bet many people don't even remember and that was only 11 years ago.

Exactly.  I barely remember the H1N1.  The media is really going overboard on this one, in my opinion.  "If it bleeds, it leads" is the saying.  While we should all be informed and concerned, I think the hype and count is just freaking people out too much.  We all need to take a breath (away from others) and calm down.

This is not 'overboard'.

This is not 'hype.'

This is not 'media.'

People are dying.

This is a WORLDWIDE issue.

As much as some like to make this about American media

and American politics...it is NOT. Srsly.  Educate yourself.

People are dying?  Stop the presses.  People die from the flu.  People die from car accidents.  People die from gun shots.  Take precautions and live your life. No sense getting all freaked out about it.

@Puppy Lips 

How is your business doing?

Hope all is going well.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

@Carmie  I don't want to argue with you about what you obviously aren't aware of. 

Honored Contributor

@Free2be   Having a difference of opinion is not arguing.  If you know something that I don't know and can prove it, I invite you to educate me.

I have traveled to many regions  and many countries and if I ever get sick or have an accident. I always buy extra insurance to fly me back to the US for treatment.

No how, no way would I want to receive anything other than first aid, or stableization so I could be transferred back home. 

Honored Contributor

I heard a dr on tv this morning say this coronavirus has been around for 8 years. Really?
Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
I heard a dr on tv this morning say this coronavirus has been around for 8 years. Really?

@lovesrecess 

Coronavirus is an umbrella term which has been around since the 60's.

• COVID-19
  • SARS
  • MERS

Just Google for more information 

QVC Customer Care

Respected Contributor

I just read that Oregon can test, as of today, only 40 people a day.  Unbelievable.  You may ask where I read this:  online at Live Science.  There is a long article full of information but that one bit floored me.

Respected Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

I just read that Oregon can test, as of today, only 40 people a day.  Unbelievable.  You may ask where I read this:  online at Live Science.  There is a long article full of information but that one bit floored me.

The availability of testing is stilll unbelievably inadequate. The only logical explaination is that with so few tests being done, the numbers of infected seem lower. Don't you realize it's all about the numbers and placing blame.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown