Respected Contributor

Re: Very inspirational ceremony

I think it's important to remember that "change" and the degree of change are subjective.

I know there has been change and am glad for it, but I'm very leery of any advancement of the idea that there has been 'great change'.

I've seen that belief too often used to claim that racism is much less now so we don't need civil rights laws, we don't need anti-discrimination laws, and we don't need quotas for college entrance, etc.

While Blacks may be able to sit anywhere on buses, they are still looked with fear by many, thinking "Don't sit near me." or "I hope they don't rob me.", etc.

While they may have more freedoms and rights, they still don't feel safe themselves, and definitely not comfortable in many situations.

My hope for better days is also in the younger generations. I hope that they are and will be much more tolerant generations.

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent
Honored Contributor

On 3/7/2015 Lion said:

I think it's important to remember that "change" and the degree of change are subjective.

I know there has been change and am glad for it, but I'm very leery of any advancement of the idea that there has been 'great change'.

I've seen that belief too often used to claim that racism is much less now so we don't need civil rights laws, we don't need anti-discrimination laws, and we don't need quotas for college entrance, etc.

While Blacks may be able to sit anywhere on buses, they are still looked with fear by many, thinking "Don't sit near me." or "I hope they don't rob me.", etc.

While they may have more freedoms and rights, they still don't feel safe themselves, and definitely not comfortable in many situations.

My hope for better days is also in the younger generations. I hope that they are and will be much more tolerant generations.

So true! The vibe I get from SOME people is like 'Hey, you're not slaves anymore. Everything is fine now. You should be grateful. Get over it.'.

This comes from a position of abject ignorance and apathy, and does nothing to contribute to progress. It's just that total lack of understanding and lack of even the desire to understand how things are for others.

Super Contributor

On 3/7/2015 evelomaddict said:

today is the one day that everyone should try to put their differences aside. all the same issues will be around tomorrow to argue about. imo

Everyone looks so serious in the first picture. At least a lot of people are smiling in the second picture. That's good.

Super Contributor

On 3/7/2015 melfie said:

It isn't fear mongering unless there's a reason to be fearful.

Oh please. And you don't think some will be fearful, whether the fear is real or imagined to them? Look how some of them reacted and are still reacting to a black President. Why throw out those projections at all. Let's just move on in life, support each other in life, and realize we are all members of only one race: the human race.

Super Contributor

On 3/7/2015 chickenbutt said:
On 3/7/2015 Lion said:

So true! The vibe I get from SOME people is like 'Hey, you're not slaves anymore. Everything is fine now. You should be grateful. Get over it.'.

This comes from a position of abject ignorance and apathy, and does nothing to contribute to progress. It's just that total lack of understanding and lack of even the desire to understand how things are for others.

I agree with both Lion & Chickenbutt.

Honored Contributor

On 3/7/2015 melfie said:

What is there to be fearful of?

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

On 3/7/2015 melfie said:

Of course, no problem. Look under "A More Diverse Nation". Paragraph 6. http://www.census.gov/newsroom/releases/archives/population/cb12-243.html

TY, I'll check it out. I hope you don't mind me asking for the 'source', it can be a sore spot in this forum, lol. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

On 3/7/2015 NoelSeven said:
On 3/7/2015 melfie said:

What is there to be fearful of?

Some fear their chickens will come home to roost, so to speak.

(Post #125)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Super Contributor

On 3/7/2015 RainCityGirl said:
On 3/7/2015 melfie said:

Oh please. And you don't think some will be fearful, whether the fear is real or imagined to them? Look how some of them reacted and are still reacting to a black President. Why throw out those projections at all. Let's just move on in life, support each other in life, and realize we are all members of only one race: the human race.

I don't understand the rudeness here. And I don't appreciate what you're insinuating. I'm not throwing out any projections. I was stating that there will be a change in the status of minorities and that is a fact. As a minority I think that the possibilities for us are very intriguing. Even exciting. God knows we've been through enough.

With responses such as yours to posts like mine, no wonder people shy away from speaking their minds here. Have a nice evening.

Super Contributor

On 3/7/2015 SydneyH said:
On 3/7/2015 melfie said:

Of course, no problem. Look under "A More Diverse Nation". Paragraph 6. http://www.census.gov/newsroom/releases/archives/population/cb12-243.html

TY, I'll check it out. I hope you don't mind me asking for the 'source', it can be a sore spot in this forum, lol. Smiley Happy

I had no idea this forum was like it is. It's disgraceful. I'm not sure what you mean by source. The link is from the US Census.