Honored Contributor

Re: Using 'they' or 'them'??

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

With all of the atrocioius grammar used on this board every day and nothing said about it unless it is to tell someone who brings it up that we don't need the "grammar police" here, it is obvious that this topic isn't about grammar at all, given many of the responses.

I was thinking the same thing @QueenDanceALot.

Every time I see the rants about how the newer generations are poorly educated etc etc, I smile. 

I also grin when I see people railing about the horrible "me" entitlement generation. 

"Why don't they dress like ME"

"Why don't they talk like ME"

"Why aren't MY things good enough for them"

"Why don't they want a house like MINE"

LOL.  Just who is this ME generation again?

Isn't there actually a generation that was called the 'me generation'?   I feel like I vaguely remember that but my memory is so bad now.  Smiley Sad

I'm a boomer, so that's the only  one the perameters for which I can recall at this point.   I think I'm right about in the middle of the boomer bunch.  Smiley Happy

Well, actually, the me generation is the baby boomer generation. I guess I used it kind of wrong in my post. I was referring to the real "me" generation ranting about the entitlement of the "younger" generation.

Oh really?  I'm surprised.   I definitely would have thought it was a much younger generation.   Thanks for the info.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I am proud of both of my children. They are kind, and treat others fairly. The kids at the uni love my daughter

Honored Contributor

You know, when people are confused and don't know what to call someone, I'd think the person being called might have some compassion for the confused and the embarrassed too.  Doesn't compassion and respect go both ways? 

And thee, thou and thy IS the solution. . . 

Respected Contributor

The daughter is correct in using "they" as singular. Many researchers and students use the University of Purdue OWL (online writing lab) as a resource for correct APA and MLA style writing. That site has some information on the changing use of pronouns and a list of additional sites for more information.The site also mentioned "Mx", added by Oxford Dictionaries, as a possible replacement for Ms./Mr./Mrs. Language and grammar continuously evolve over time.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@gidgetgh

@gidgetgh wrote:

They and them are used for people who are gender neutral. 

@How would I know if a person is gender neutral...wouldn’t I have to be judging them to get it correct?Cant people be male or female and keep their sexual preference  out of it?I am not judging but I just don’t understand.

With some people, you can't win.  They set you up to be wrong and offensive.  Others will be cheerful and helpful and feel YOUR pain in trying to figure this out  People are just different.  Some are nice, some aren't.

Esteemed Contributor

It's all about gender identity that is taught in many of our public schools. It's a different way of thinking than most of us were raised with. Parents need to be more involved and know what is being taught in elementary and high school, let alone college.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@petepetey wrote:

My college age child told me a friend of hers was traveling in Europe this week.

I asked 'who is she traveling with'?  She then told me she doesn't use 'she' anymore

it's 'they or 'them'.

This one is hard for me to wrap my head around. Why deny your gender? Is that a bad thing?  They or them is plural so are you speaking about one person or a group?

How can I understand this?

I can't believe I get that, are they talking about trans gender? You would think they would want to be referred to as their chosen gender. If indeed that's what they are talking about or does everyone want to be referred to as gender neutral?

Esteemed Contributor

@blackhole99, this is not just about transgender. Many schools in this country (elementary through college) are teaching that anyone who identifies with anything other than male/female can not be labeled as he/she. You're right - this is not an issue of proper English. It's a societal issue with our youth and what they are taught, and it's all about being gender neutral.

Honored Contributor

I’m not sure what there is to understand. 

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

@blackhole99, this is not just about transgender. Many schools in this country (elementary through college) are teaching that anyone who identifies with anything other than male/female can not be labeled as he/she. You're right - this is not an issue of proper English. It's a societal issue with our youth and what they are taught, and it's all about being gender neutral.

@jannabelle1  I can tell you this is not being discussed in any public school in my area. I could see where this is discussed in a college classroom though. I just called my niece who is a student at a local private Methodist college and told her about this discussion and she said they are not making an issue of this at her school. No discussing anything about who is gender neutral at that school. In fact she though it was silly. It would be interesting to know where in the US this is actually being discussed in public school settings.