Honored Contributor

Re: Using milk after its expiration date?

@Venezia wrote:

Re:  "Safe" or "Not safe" debate:

All the OP was asking other posters was about the expiration date.  She didn't ask for lectures on dairy (or meat) consumption.

And I think it's rude to change the thread title on someone else's thread.  If you have strong convictions, start your own thread.  Just sayin' - beating others over the head with your own convictions, won't change a thing.

And there's nothing "obvious" about it.  If milk weren't safe to drink, the population would have been practically wiped out by now.

Yes this. My apologies to the OP who just asked a simple question, not a litany of issues with dairy. 

Honored Contributor

Usually my milk it good for about 5-7 days after expiration date...I always look at the date and do the 'smell' test...nothing worse than a glug of sour milk.

QVC Customer Care

Esteemed Contributor

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/hlAmQpT8-k5J3jAL6JNaoxohSc6aqZSm-K3MQw_cpQaTkUUSE4QshRn2cHZ0rPD2UsimPHDU3yIgBEvqWEK4p_NkX1jgU6Mm186rm4yFCsbSMMIk9W9IFRZSeu33AdwYudr6vWQ_86wmnmMZq_hBETZtpXSxL7iebU1ewUUe-3mWgOFkNLgT22MCsqasLixo5j3PZGB38JgpAUpMKHFhWZyE6ps18fmU6HmpvbSJmT1WnFXYnD3eHI5Pio_INoo_YUime8V1CFsD9ACYGOxkMOwh5LclDJdRY_at2pwwyhYJa2t1RmjcLiae8W0rFM6ge73b8QLwVhx527xnLE37FtfTNweojqbzXPPbLO8xSAeRYtkNwjQ0dJt_vMZhPUB7OrH8xi3giKsrt0rMhwjFhpxtS1KekXuNuSw-bbPPiJAVyLKtWMrEH2D3l2WxOjGLIhMhHmu8HG78huWVBBZ0qVd4e62zl210ion8tRGREFc1QJhXV9TFZdMU6UVaEf82KWDQBbpoPEZwll1_J3Q8T_QH62nCXbY2yIpWMNnhY0xLV0db0g6Npq9L7aPXjNs-vQPMluGUVcMzsralow0FsFCFlcfOUYcW=w1600-h636

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We go by when we actually open the milk. If it has been opened for a week, I admit I usually get rid of it no matter what the expiration date says.

Lately, we have been purchasing Lactaid which seems to last a lot longer. I only use it on oatmeal as does my husband. We use half and half in our coffee, 1 tablespoon per cup, so we just buy the small size pint.

Honored Contributor

I only buy milk for a recipe when it calls for it, we don't drink milk ever, I make oat milk in the Vitamix to drink and for cereal.  That being said, I bought ultra pasteurized half&half to make mashed potatoes at Thanksgiving and it's still good, I used it to make dressing for coleslaw today. As far as the not eating meat and dairy, everything in moderation. I had a friend once who sounds alot like the poster who wants everyone to follow a plant based diet. I said, once had a friend, she died of cancer and I remember her saying, "I did everything right and I still got cancer".

Honored Contributor

@ahoymate....I freeze milk, DH does not drink it so it can last quite a while at my house....I usually freeze 1/2 the jug in two different containers...nothing worse than wanting an oreo and a glass of milk and not have milk in the house.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Milk is ok to drink up to 5 days after the "sell by" date.  

@chrystaltree  Not the milk I buy.  Sometimes it "stinks" before the sell-by date.

Respected Contributor

FWIW, here's two sites I go to for unfamiliar products.  ((Like many, I discard most by the expiration date).

http://www.eatbydate.com

https://www.stilltasty.com/

Denise
Honored Contributor

I just smell it.

I use many items after the date. Depends on what it is.