Trusted Contributor

Using milk after its expiration date?

Is this safe to do, and if so, how long after the expiration date is it still safe to use?  TIA

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Using milk after its expiration date?

It's safe, but may not taste good.  It usually tastes fine a day or two past the date, but starts to sour pretty quickly after that.  If it stinks, you may not want to drink it.  

Honored Contributor

Milk is ok to drink up to 5 days after the "sell by" date.  

Honored Contributor

If it still smells good, I use it.  Can be quite a bit past the expiration date, but I don't think there's a rule for that.  It depends on a lot of things, including how the milk was stored both at the store and in your home.

Respected Contributor

I still use milk a few days after the expiration date.  Any later than that I do the sniff test before using it. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Buttermilk lasts a long time past expiration date. Like 2 weeks. Google for details.

Respected Contributor

I don't go past 2 days for the whole milk because it starts to smell.  I also purchase lactose free milk and find that it lasts a little longer past the expiration date...usually about 5 days.

Valued Contributor

I go by the smell.  I've had milk go bad before the expiration date, & had it be fine after the expiration date. Whole milk lasts longer than skim.

Honored Contributor

The gallon of milk we just finished was 8 days past expiration date, and had not started to sour.   I made a bowl of cooked pudding 2 days after the expiration date, then made biscuits and cornbread with the rest.   Even once milk “turns”, I still use it for biscuits and cornbread, and very rarely pour milk down the drain.   

Honored Contributor

@Sue98 wrote:

Is this safe to do, and if so, how long after the expiration date is it still safe to use?  TIA

Milk is not safe to drink before the expiration date, so....

the ‘safe date’ is wide open.