Honored Contributor

Re: Using milk after its expiration date?

[ Edited ]

i have used milk even a week after its expiration date and it stays good.

as long as it smells good and tastes good, i will use it.

i purchase whole milk, heavy cream, light cream and half n half.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

We use ours as long as it does not smell gross.

Sometimes it starts to smell before the expiration date sometimes it's 2 wks after.

Bought some milk Thurs & could not get the cap off Fri. I was so mad. I ended up cutting the carton with a knife so I could get some milk out of it. LOL!!! I wanted a cup of hot chocolate.

DH picked up a new carton on his way home. I threw out the other & made him open the new one. Guess what it also would not open. DH had to use a pair of channel lock pliers to open it. He told me that's all I had to do. I said easier said then done because the pliers are too big for my hands. I need to hands to use them & another hand to remove the cap.

Wonder how many people bought that milk & cannot get the cap off. LOL!!!

It was like it was glued shut.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Sue98 wrote:

Is this safe to do, and if so, how long after the expiration date is it still safe to use?  TIA

Milk is not safe to drink before the expiration date, so....

the ‘safe date’ is wide open. 

@sidsmom

I like hot chocolate with milk but I really don't care for milk. I have tried it with coconut milk & it's just not the same.

You can only buy raw milk here from farmer to consumer. I only know of one place.

Respected Contributor

We use it 2 or 3 days past the expiration date with no problem.  

Esteemed Contributor

@tipsy wrote:

I go by the smell.  I've had milk go bad before the expiration date, & had it be fine after the expiration date. Whole milk lasts longer than skim.

@tipsy .... sorry but, I disagree.... I have found that skim milk last much longer than whole milk 🙃

Respected Contributor

@tipsy wrote:

I go by the smell.  I've had milk go bad before the expiration date, & had it be fine after the expiration date. Whole milk lasts longer than skim.

Yes to this! I always smell test for the same reason. The sell-buy date is a guide based on some generalizations. I look at it like a pregnancy due-date - it's close, but not precse.

Honored Contributor

I prefer to err on the side of caution.  I never use anything beyond the expiraton date ... no matter who says it can be safe.

With my luck - I'd get sick and die!  Smiley Wink 

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Sue98 wrote:

Is this safe to do, and if so, how long after the expiration date is it still safe to use?  TIA

Milk is not safe to drink before the expiration date, so....

the ‘safe date’ is wide open. 

@sidsmom.  I hope the innocents who read these boards know to take your comments with a grain of salt.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@January121 wrote:

@tipsy wrote:

@tipsy .... sorry but, I disagree.... I have found that skim milk last much longer than whole milk 🙃

@January121.  I agree.  I find the lower the milkfat, the longer I can keep milk.  Skim milk practically lasts forever.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here, milk has a best by date. It usually is good for at least a week beyond that date, sometimes a little longer.