Honored Contributor

Re: Using milk after its expiration date?

Y'all are brave!   Granted, I'm very neurotic when it comes to food type stuff and milk grosses me out.  But if it gets within 3-4 days of (before) the date it's gone.   I just can't.

If I need to buy some for a recipe I buy the smallest one I can get with the longest time on the date.  People say to smell it.   Just ewww!  Milk smells gross anyway so I wouldn't be able to tell.   I avoid smelling it altogether.  Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Oh, this is making my stomach turn.

I don't buy or use regular milk.  But I wouldn't be brave enough to use it after the expiration date.  I can't bear to smell it either.  

Honored Contributor

stinky milk is  safe to bake with but chunky milk is best tossed....some people say sour milk makes the best biscuits..When milk stinks I toss it though.

Esteemed Contributor

I definitely use by the date stamped on the jug.

A gallon of fat-free costs me about $3 a week.

Not taking any chances holding onto it more than a day past the date.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Sue98 wrote:

Is this safe to do, and if so, how long after the expiration date is it still safe to use?  TIA

Milk is not safe to drink before the expiration date, so....

the ‘safe date’ is wide open. 

@sidsmom.  I hope the innocents who read these boards know to take your comments with a grain of salt.

@Kachina624

I hope the ‘innocents’ (😆 so dramatic!) who read these boards

know to NOT take the suggestion of,

Skim milk practically lasts forever”

That’s scary how something the Public thinks ‘does a body good’

can be lasting forever....kinda like a Twinkie. 

Respected Contributor

You can freeze milk. This topic is easy to Google for details on using past expiration date. 5 days past sell by date = ok to use.

Honored Contributor

Re: No Moo🚫🐄

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Sue98 wrote:

Is this safe to do, and if so, how long after the expiration date is it still safe to use?  TIA

Milk is not safe to drink before the expiration date, so....

the ‘safe date’ is wide open. 

@sidsmom.  I hope the innocents who read these boards know to take your comments with a grain of salt.

@Kachina624

I hope the ‘innocents’ (😆 so dramatic!) who read these boards

know to NOT take the suggestion of,

Skim milk practically lasts forever”

That’s scary how something the Public thinks ‘does a body good’

can be lasting forever....kinda like a Twinkie. 

@sidsmom- I'm not an "innocent", but I fail to see what milk and Twinkies have in common.

It seems you're against anyone drinking cow's milk, but that's not the same as saying it's not "safe".  In fact, I'm having milk in my tea right now and I love nothing more than a glass of cold milk.  Hasn't killed me yet.

But then, I don't eat Twinkies, so perhaps that's what's saved me?  Smiley Frustrated

Honored Contributor

@sidsmomno need to get upset over the consumption of meat and dairy by others.People have been eating that way forever and they do so around the world too...maybe not dairy but meat.It can’t be that evil to our health if it is so widespread.I agree though that farmers are using drugs that aren’t good for us and that meat in some other countries is much better for our health.

I admire you for your strong convictions and for trying to promote good health through diet but I will continue to eat a very small amount of meat...there aren’t enough plants in the store to fill me up when I am starving.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom.......I'm sorry, but I really can't understand you and what your thoughts are.....

Honored Contributor

Re: Using milk after it's expiration date

[ Edited ]

Before going out of town, I would always make sure there was some milk put in the freezer, along with part of a loaf of bread.....just so there would be something I could have before going to the store.