Honored Contributor

CHRISTMAS TRADITIONS AROUND THE WORLD

I find it fun to know how others celebrate Christmas.  This little link below is very general, but takes us on a super-quick tour of how Christmas takes place in other countries:

https://people.howstuffworks.com/culture-traditions/holidays-christmas/christmas-traditions-around-t...

In Ethiopia, they celebrate different aspects of Christmas on both January 7th, and the 19th.  Parishioners wear festive all-white on January 7.

The traditional French caroling on Christmas Eve is my favorite aspect of their traditions.

Those in China who are able to celebrate, do have trees.  How fun that they decorate them with culturally appropriate little red paper lanterns!

For those who celebrate, do you have any special traditions?  I've mentioned before that my mother occasionally gave us presents on New Year's as well as Christmas.  She vaguely explained that it was an old tradition of some people, going way back.  Her family was Huguenot, so I speculated it originated with them.  I researched and found that in times of old, especially the English and French gave their gifts at New Year's, reserving Christmas for more quiet reflections.  Later, it was the Dutch and Germans who merged gift giving with December 25.

Apparently though, New Year's was when Queen Elizabeth I gave and received gifts, and she got some pretty nifty ones!

Honored Contributor

Re: CHRISTMAS TRADITIONS AROUND THE WORLD

We Italians include fish and pasta in our Christmas Eve dinner and down grapes at midnight on NYE. 

Other than that, I think we're pretty normal or claim to be.  

Regular Contributor

As a first generation AMERICAN on my father's side, I received gifts from his side of the family on January 6, when La Befana came.  I hate fish, so I had a hot dog on CHRISTMAS   EVE, during the seven fishes meal.

Honored Contributor

Ha, @Laura14 and @comedy clubber, I forgot to add that if I weren't able to celebrate here, my first choice for a place to be at Christmas would be Italy, and enjoying the Feast of the Seven Fishes...

Trusted Contributor

Oh, I love these, @Oznell! I often watch PBS and other specials on TV detailing the many beautiful ways other cultures celebrate Christmas (and the New Year).

Thank you for the link. 😊