Respected Contributor

Re: Using milk after its expiration date?

@Nightowlz  I keep the metal gadget that cracks lobsters open handy.  Works for those stubborn plastic caps because the metal grips the ridges and digs in on the plastic so you can twist the cap off.

Esteemed Contributor

We go by the "sniff test" in this house....and the vast majority of time it lasts at least a week after the date on the container. I would never, ever throw out a container of milk once "the date" has arrived if it still smells fresh. Of course it's safe to use!

Honored Contributor

@Sue98 wrote:

Is this safe to do, and if so, how long after the expiration date is it still safe to use?  TIA

@Sue98

That's the "sell by" date.  No way could all the milk automatically expire on the same day in all different refridgertors. 

One variable is temperature ... just how cold is your fridge set at?  Also, do you pour milk and put it back, or does it sit on the counter for a while?

Honored Contributor

It's all about the smell and the taste of milk and you know it when it is past it's prime. 

I often have milk that is past the date a few days, but isn't sour yet. I use it to make cream soups, puddings and put on hot cereal or in mashed potatoes, rather than waste it. 

Honored Contributor

There is a "sell by" date and a "use by" date....I usually toss it after the use by date.
Honored Contributor

If it passes the sniff test I use it.  

I volunteer at a food bank and we keep canned and packaged goods up to one year past the expiration date - all except baby food.  

Honored Contributor

Yesterday, I made ice cream out of milk that didn’t get used over the thanksgiving holiday weekend.  It was a few days after the expire date, but had no odor. 

I did discard the rest of the gallon, because I knew I wasn’t going to use it all before it really did go bad 

Honored Contributor

I go by both smell and expiration date.  

Honored Contributor

I dont drink milk but have boight it for grandkids or recipe.  I buy organic and I have used unopened 2% milk almost 10 days after expiration one time.  It was in back of fridge ontop...pretty cold.  Other than that if ot is opened seems like it is only good tasting a few days after it os opened.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Same rule applies to your yogurt and cottege cheese, too.  If it doesn't stink or have that "sour" smell, it's ok to eat.