Respected Contributor

Re: University of Alabma COVID........

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Bringing up concerns about the spread at colleges (e.g.the mess now at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill) is relevant here, even if some don't want to hear it.

And implying that anyone on these boards is happy about the bad news is truly disgusting.

Agreed.  Nobody hopes to watch these kids become ill and as it has been said, time will tell. 

Even with classes reopened, I would guess more work will be done online than previously.  Either way. if they can get through the year so that people who would imply such ugliness can say "I told you so", well then let's all celebrate then because that's when we can all take a deep breath.

Honored Contributor

i wish all the students who are returning to schools well and hope their outcomes are good ones.  No matter who you are, your back round, your beliefs, your culture, race, your place in society, whatever, may we move forward to better times.

This divided country should have all been united and together fighting this pandemic.  But instead it became political and not based on the needs of the people.  That angers me and every single day I pray for positive change.  They say when things are so far down, they have no where to go but up and only change will make that a reality.  It won't be easy but it will be a start.,

Respected Contributor

@spiderw   Well said.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

edited because it cannot be attributed to Dr. Fauci.
Respected Contributor

The only way to make college a relatively safe place would be to test daily.  If that is not done, kids will get the virus out in the community and bring it back to campus.

I wouldn't send my kid back without frequent testing.

Trusted Contributor

Bravo to Dr. Fauci.  COVID is not the flu.  The flu doesn't usually damage your heart, lungs kidneys, or cause blood clots; COVID does.  Just as the flu mutates into different versions each year, COVID does as well

It's great that there were only 275 cases. In order to maintain that level, all persons on Alabama's or any other campus will need to follow Dr. Fauci's recommendations diligently. Otherwise, each of the 275 students has the potential to infect 2-2.5 other individuals.  I have friends that teach at Alabama and pray that they stay well.  My university has a rapid testing format, multiple testing sites, requires strict adherence to wearing masks, limiting contact, and testing/reporting 1-2 times weekly. Administrators speculate that this may not be enough.

God help us all (if you are not a believer, then appeal to that in your belief system that allows for positive energy).

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

This is a picture taken yesterday of a crowd of students from this university, and there are similar pics for Auburn University -- few masks, no distancing:

Source: Alabama News Network

Yes, you are right.   These scenes are all around the U.S. each day and have been for months on end. 

Thank you, @Hoovermom. I posted it because it was taken yesterday and is from the university that is the topic here.

That photo is not actually on the U of A campus.

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

Sooner wrote:
Porcelain wrote:

If they're following precautions shouldn't this number be 0 instead of 237? 237 cases is ridiculous.

Porcelain There are no precautions that can guarantee 0 unless you lock yourself in your house.

People have to go out.  People will contract the virus somewhere along the way.  You cannot protect a population to 0 unless you isolate everyone.  Or we all wear hazmat suits. 

Dr. Fauci had a reply to that and I completely agree with him.

For those in our society who suggest that people being cautious are cowards, for people who refuse to take even the simplest of precautions to protect themselves and those around them, I want to ask, without hyperbole and in all sincerity:
How dare you?
How dare you risk the lives of others so cavalierly. How dare you decide for others that they should welcome exposure as "getting it over with", when literally no one knows who will be the lucky "mild symptoms" case, and who may fall ill and die. Because while we know that some people are more susceptible to suffering a more serious case, we also know that 20 and 30-year-olds have died, marathon runners and fitness nuts have died, children and infants have died.
How dare you behave as though you know more than medical experts, when those same experts acknowledge that there is so much we don't yet know, but with what we DO know, are smart enough to be scared of how easily this is spread, and recommend baseline precautions such as:
Frequent hand-washing
Physical distancing
Reduced social/public contact or interaction
Mask wearing
Covering your cough or sneeze
Avoiding touching your face
Sanitizing frequently touched surfaces
The more things we can all do to mitigate our risk of exposure, the better off we all are, in my opinion. Not only does it flatten the curve and allow health care providers to maintain levels of service that aren't immediately and catastrophically overwhelmed; it also reduces unnecessary suffering and deaths, and buys time for the scientific community to study the virus in order to come to a more full understanding of the breadth of its impacts in both the short and long term.
I reject the notion that it's "just a virus" and we'll all get it eventually. What a careless, lazy, heartless stance.”

Anthony Fauci didn’t write that. A facebook user named Amy Wright takes credit for the statement. 
A lengthy Facebook post about viruses skips from chickenpox to herpes to HIV and, finally to the coronavirus. It’s attributed to Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, and ends with an uncharacteristic scolding. 

This post was flagged as part of Facebook’s efforts to combat false news and misinformation on its News Feed. The words themselves are an opinion and not something we at PolitiFact fact-check.

But the attribution to Fauci is wrong and worth correcting. In a statement, the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases told PolitiFact that Fauci wasn’t the author of the post. 

Honored Contributor

Well we took a drive Sunday late afternoon/early night south to a campus and I am here to tell you that we drove through a college campus and saw almost no masks on kids.  Not on campus, not on the hangouts nearby.  And friends kids are posting pics of them in the dorm, no masks.

That generation doesn't think like we do, and we should be accepting of that more than people were us when we were young and bullet proof and knew everything.

Many simply will not wear masks unless the worst starts happening.  And none of us know what will happen.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Well we took a drive Sunday late afternoon/early night south to a campus and I am here to tell you that we drove through a college campus and saw almost no masks on kids.  Not on campus, not on the hangouts nearby.  And friends kids are posting pics of them in the dorm, no masks.

That generation doesn't think like we do, and we should be accepting of that more than people were us when we were young and bullet proof and knew everything.

Many simply will not wear masks unless the worst starts happening.  And none of us know what will happen.  

@Sooner  No we don't know at all and to my mind the repeated and redundant conversations, lamentations and scoldings have become exhausting.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...