Honored Contributor

Speaking of Joy Mangano . . .

Whatever happened to her in the first place?  Why did her company go down?  I personally thought she was a bit overbearing and I could never see the partership with Iman.  However, she had some good products over the years and I'm surprised HSN and she parted ways.  

Super Contributor

Re: Speaking of Joy Mangano . . .

I remember when she started out on QVC!  When she made the jump to HSN I believe they were a separate company.  I haven't heard what happened.

Respected Contributor

All I remember is the last product, a cleaning spray that she said she used every night to disinfect her kitchen.   It contained thymol.   I tried it and the smell was sickening.

A lot of folks had the same experience.  QVC must have been inundated 
with the returns.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

All I remember is the last product, a cleaning spray that she said she used every night to disinfect her kitchen.   It contained thymol.   I tried it and the smell was sickening.

A lot of folks had the same experience.  
QVC must have been inundated with the returns.

That would have been strange, since it was sold on HSN.

I like the Thymol-based products. I bought extra when I saw they were being discontinued. It's a strong scent, and if you don't like it, it would be hard to take.

If the OP wants to know about Joy's business, there is plenty of straight, non-gossipy info to be found with a simple Google query. Hint: Try searching on "Ingenious Designs." That's how I've found out where things stand with past ventures.  

I'm looking forward to learning about her new products, specifically cleaners. (I can get coated hangers at Walmart.) If she can find a way to incorporate 0.23% Thymol in a new product and eliminate or reduce the smell, she'll have gold, because it's effective against the coronavirus (4-minute dwell time).

Trusted Contributor

@depglass 

I think the fiasco with her Miracle Clean probably contributed to her demise. There were so many complaints online from the strong scent. I think HSN & Joy lost a fortune on it. I personally had ordered 2 or 3 sets of the cleaner. I didn't return the product but my complaint was I ordered different scents. I can't recall the exact names but fresh linen & orange blossom were two that I ordered. They both smelled very strongly of Listerine. There was no orange or linen scent. And during the presentations they raved about how nice it smelled. I think a lot of us felt our product was defective. I wouldn't have been upset if she came "clean" during the presentation.  Just admit that it smells like Listerine as thymol is what gives Listerine it's scent. I was expecting a nice orange or fresh linen scent. It was so strong I had to open the windows after I sprayed it on the counter. 

Trusted Contributor

Honored Contributor

I thought her absence from HSN was because of an expired contract with them. There was some kind of disagreement about whatever was in that contract so she left.

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

Whatever happened to her in the first place?  Why did her company go down?  I personally thought she was a bit overbearing and I could never see the partership with Iman.  However, she had some good products over the years and I'm surprised HSN and she parted ways.  

her company did not "go down." hsn owned her company for many years. she made a ton of money from that and a ton of money off of her name. once the reorganization happened via QURATE, the parent company of hsn and qvc, they got rid of the separate brand (which saved them money) and the separate "ingenious brands" offices/workplace. it really was all about consolidation and saving money.

she probably had some sort of  tight contract with hsn/qurate that did not allow her to get back into the business quickly.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Maybe she'll return someday.  Seems to me her and Iman left at about the same time.

I actually liked them together, thought they did some good stuff.  Iman's back now so who knows?  I didn't try her cleaning stuff but I love my little steamer !!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal    It was just announced that Joy is returning with her own company but apparently not on a shopping channel.  Maybe infomercials?  She and Qurate had a falling out and they sacked her, resulting in 40 people losing their jobs.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment