Respected Contributor

These statistics amaze me.

Just listened this a.m. to report on ‘our’ fire in Santa Cruz and it blows my mind how hard they work.

since onset of our fire 80,000 acres burned, now 527 structures burned, we have 1,697 firemen there, yesterday they dropped 256,000 gallons water via helicopter - since onset of fire they have dropped 1.6 million gallons water.

Hard to imagine all this activity - today we are 19% contained.  Still a long way to go but so thankful for all these hard working men Firemen, Sherrif Office, Volunteers so many great people.

Trusted Contributor

They are unsung hero's.  Pleast stay safe.

Respected Contributor

At one point in my Federal career, I worked with the firefighter provisions of the retirement law. This entailed reviewing documentation of their duties, including those who fought wildfires. Military personnel aside, these are some of the bravest people alive. When everyone else is being evacuated, they head straight into the heart of the wildfire. 

Respected Contributor

@dulwich , We have dear friends in Santa Cruz who are sheltering in place. They were so excited about the 19%.  I grew up with many friends from up in the mountains there . I heard a snippit on the news that they had managed to save trees in big basin. We camped there as a child. There used to be a gizmo that was a forerunner of a zip line. you sat in a basket thing and slid down a wire as I remember.

It is hard getting news from the bay area as so much else is occuring.

Please stay safe 

Honored Contributor

Special, selfless, caring people.  

Honored Contributor

@dulwich    Some of your firefighters may be our firefighters.  A contingent left New Mexico Monday and headed your way to help fight fires, along with their gear and equipment.  We had one major fire when they left but since several more have erupted, so they may need to come home.

We're getting smoke in Albuquerque from the NM, Colorado, and California fires.  I can't even see our mountains.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

So far today, I smell no smoke, first day in over a week, and maybe the cooler weather is helping contain the fires.  They began North across the Bay, then lightning strikes began fires in my county, so I have smelled smoke from the North running down the mountains to and including Santa Cruz.

Honored Contributor

Re: Our Firemen Are Great!

[ Edited ]

Wishing firefighters from everywhere and all brave folks the best of health and safety.

I've been thinking................Since I've been hearing that they could use more fire-fighting help................Would it be a good idea to train military volunteers to be able to help out?  

Basic fire-fighting duties, etc.  All voluntary.

They would need to order special fireproof equipment and clothing, etc. ahead of time

But, for the hopefully very distant future (meaning no more forest/wild fires, hopefully, ever), the military could be handy. 

I don't know anything about the military, but I'm guessing that they are on-going-ly trained to be very fit and strong.

Well, just thinking out loud.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Several of our units (Washington State) are down there also.  They lost a lot of man power not having the prisoners to help.

Honored Contributor

Re: Our Firemen Are Great!

[ Edited ]

@dulwich God bless all the firefighters, men and women.

I agree that they are unsung heroes and do a job most of us could not do. They are brave beyond words.