Super Contributor
On 3/18/2015 RainCityGirl said:
On 3/16/2015 occasional rain said: Why are the neighbor's spying on this man? Seems he has reason to complain too. Much ado about nothing.

Gee, I don't know. Maybe they want to work in their yards or go past their own windows without seeing some naked dude airing his differences in public.

Let me say that I would be pretty p.o.'d if this guy was my neighbor! {#emotions_dlg.angry} What about how I feel about that type of behavior?! Why should I be subjected to having to see him prance around stark naked if I am totally uncomfortable with it?! Do what you want in the privacy of your own, but don't force me to be part of it! Gross!!

Honored Contributor

How can this be not be ""willfully exposing""?

Super Contributor

Gives new meaning to having a home with a view.

Respected Contributor

Don't know where some got the idea he was parading around on the porch or lawn. What he does is stand inside his own home but at the front door. That, apparently, is what makes the difference between this being within the law and against the law.

As for me, I'd probably just smile and wave at him. And if I was offended, I wouldn't look. Cover my eyes if I must pass his house. Avert my gaze. Look straight ahead.

Valued Contributor

I haven't read all the responses, so I don't know if anyone looked up "nudity" laws in North Carolina where this person resides.

This is a general paragraph addressing public nudity at the beginning of the list of state laws:

So what are the laws affecting public nudity?

Generally, in America, nudity is against the law in public places. Moreover, nudity is also generally illegal on a person’s own property if the nude person is visible to the public, such as through an open window or sunbathing nude in someone's yard. While most state laws are clear about nudity around children and nudity meant to arouse, some other wording is vague and violations often are a matter of community standards for indecency. Of course, in some situations, these laws may conflict with constitutional protections for freedom of expression, particularly if the nudity is part of an artistic performance or political demonstration.

Here is the law in North Carolina:

NORTH CAROLINA

* § 14-190.9. Indecent exposure.

(a) Unless the conduct is punishable under subsection (a1) of this section, any person who shall willfully expose the private parts of his or her person in any public place and in the presence of any other person or persons, except for those places designated for a public purpose where the same se* exposure is incidental to a permitted activity, or aids or abets in any such act, or who procures another to perform such act; or any person, who as owner, manager, lessee, director, promoter or agent, or in any other capacity knowingly hires, leases or permits the land, building, or premises of which he is owner, lessee or tenant, or over which he has control, to be used for purposes of any such act, shall be guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor.

[This was from hg.org, a "legal resources" website.]

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. -- Oscar Wilde
Honored Contributor

I checked FindLaw, a good source, for what they had to say about indecent exposure:

"Indecent exposure laws in most states make it a crime to purposefully display one's privates* in public, causing others to be alarmed or offended.

Indecent exposure is often committed for the ...... gratification of the offender or committed to entice a ...... response. In California, for instance, to be convicted of indecent exposure, the prosecution must prove an intent ...."

It seems to have a lot to do with intent.

* obviously a euphemism.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Super Contributor

If he isn't a registered "offender", what's the big deal? Unless, or until, he does something that justifies some sort of legal action, people should just MYOB! {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}