Respected Contributor

I think bats are fascinating and some species are very cute. But, I hated working after midnight and walking through our large parking garage. I think bugs were drawn to the garage lights and the bats were drawn to the bugs.

There would be a large number flying chaotically about, with their high pitched screeching. In spite of hearing about their extraordinary sonar abilities, occasionally one would dive so dang close to me, I could feel the wind from its wings.

That would make me freeze for a moment. I'd remind myself that it would be rare for one to collide with me. Then I'd run for my car. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Ugh! Bat!!!

[ Edited ]

I understand the problem with some bats. They carry not only rabies, but some horrific hemorrhagic fevers and other deadly diseases. Regardless, I still think most of them are cute. And especially those that aren't carrying diseases.

Honored Contributor

I am glad these creatures exist; I just don't want them in/near my house!

Trusted Contributor

@jlkzWow!  What an awful and expensive experience for you!  I can't imagine having to deal with that.  What a nightmare!

What is this pantyhose tubing? I looked online and can't find it.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Citrine1    They hang on the side of things and sleep during the daytime.  I've seen them hanging on stucco buildings during the day. 

Thanks for the explanation @Kachina624 .  I've only ever seen them flying in the sky at night.  

Honored Contributor

My across the street neighbor had an infestation of bats within their attic.  They are a protected species here so it took several months to get rid of them.  They put plastic tubes on several exits that they could get out but could not get back in.  They sealed all other exits and entrances before putting the tubes up.  

Esteemed Contributor

@LdyBugz wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinchYep, been through that, too.  Never want to go through that experience again thank you very much!  Nope.  

In fact, back in1980 I signed up to be a U.S. Census taker.  Knocked on someone's door and 8 gazzillion bats flew out from behind the shutters.  I left a trail of smoke behind me while running away.  Quit that job immediately! 

@LdyBugz  This has me cracking up just thinking of it.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@Foxxee  they look like lil mice....I don't like them either.  Best we keep our distance from one another.  LOL.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

Oh, I would go in a heartbeat. 

Respected Contributor

I'm in the Tucson area & I frequently get teensy little bats that hang out in the overhang above my front door at night.  They're always gone in the daylight, I guess they rest up there between feeding on bugs.  I enjoy seeing them flittering about in the dusk, diving after flying insects.  They're Canyon Bats, the smallest bats in the US.  They don't bother me & I don't bother them.