Honored Contributor

$66.00 is less than steaks.

Honored Contributor

@Othereeeen wrote:

As I recall, last year "they" tried to get people to buy early because there was "going to be a shortage" of turkeys blah blah blah...

Of course, the turkeys at that time were all the giant ones...so of course they cost a pretty penny.

The giant ones are what I saw in Walmart last week, so I THINK the panic is beginnning again.

As T-day got closer, the prices dropped...a LOT. And the smaller turkeys started to appear....the kind I want cause I'm one person....

Of course,if you're having guests or a big dinner and want to be sure, you probably should buy when you see it if you think this is not the usual "hurry up before it sells out it's rare" gimmicks.

I am going to bet that it is ( a gimmick) to sell those largest birds. "They" KNOW people are likely to gather this year more than the last few years....what a plucking they can do ( excuse the pun).

I could be wrong. Will report back!!! 

You'd think that we seasoned QVC shoppers, exhorted in breathless tones to BUY! BUY! BUY! in the midnight show cause "some of these colors will be gone in the morning' would know by now...but alas, we never learn!!!

@Othereeeen 

Huh.   I usually buy a turkey about 5 to 7 days before T-Day. 

Last year, the SMALLEST bird I could find was 23 pounds, which is a lot more than I wanted.

Respected Contributor

Re: Turkey prices

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Othereeeen wrote:

As I recall, last year "they" tried to get people to buy early because there was "going to be a shortage" of turkeys blah blah blah...

Of course, the turkeys at that time were all the giant ones...so of course they cost a pretty penny.

The giant ones are what I saw in Walmart last week, so I THINK the panic is beginnning again.

As T-day got closer, the prices dropped...a LOT. And the smaller turkeys started to appear....the kind I want cause I'm one person....

Of course,if you're having guests or a big dinner and want to be sure, you probably should buy when you see it if you think this is not the usual "hurry up before it sells out it's rare" gimmicks.

I am going to bet that it is ( a gimmick) to sell those largest birds. "They" KNOW people are likely to gather this year more than the last few years....what a plucking they can do ( excuse the pun).

I could be wrong. Will report back!!! 

You'd think that we seasoned QVC shoppers, exhorted in breathless tones to BUY! BUY! BUY! in the midnight show cause "some of these colors will be gone in the morning' would know by now...but alas, we never learn!!!

@Othereeeen 

Huh.   I usually buy a turkey about 5 to 7 days before T-Day. 

Last year, the SMALLEST bird I could find was 23 pounds, which is a lot more than I wanted.

@Tinkrbl44 The same thing happened to me the year before last. I ended up buying a 22lb turkey because I waited too long to get the medium ones.

It was a mini disaster, because when I pulled it out of the oven it started a small grease fire because there was much more juice than I ever expected! (We put it out immediately and it was a good conversation starter lol)

So, I won't do that again!

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I don't care.  Thanksgiving and Christmas only come around once a year. As long as they are less than $10 a pound, I'm buying a turkey.  I can't go through life nickel and diming everything.  

Yes, we know.  You tell us every chance you get.

Esteemed Contributor

Corporations are excessively greedy. They got all that money during the pandemic and then hugh tax cuts.. 

Super Contributor

I saw an article saying the avian bird flu has made producers have to destroy a lot of their flocks. They were telling people that this would cause higher prices. 

Mint

Honored Contributor

@Mint2 wrote:

I saw an article saying the avian bird flu has made producers have to destroy a lot of their flocks. They were telling people that this would cause higher prices. 

Mint

@Mint2 

I just read somewhere online that over 1 million chickens had to be destroyed because of the avian bird flu.  This is so sad, on many levels.  

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I went grocery shopping at Walmart this morning and they had plenty of turkeys. Jenny O's and Butterballs. One was .98/lb and the other one was I think $1.98/lb.

I am not responsible for the turkey at Thanksgiving. I have to get the over priced Honey Baked ham to bring as my contribution.

Super Contributor

HEB, the largest grocery chain in south and central Texas, had a variety of sizes this morning at $1.48 per pound.  My memory is far from perfect but I think I've always paid under a dollar for the local brand, which has always been less expensive than Butterball.