Honored Contributor

Re: Turkey prices

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

I don't care.  Thanksgiving and Christmas only come around once a year. As long as they are less than $10 a pound, I'm buying a turkey.  I can't go through life nickel and diming everything.  

@chrystaltree   Exactly what I was going to say.  I buy a turkey only once a year.  I'm not going to stress about the price.  As long as they're available for purchase, I'll buy it.   

Respected Contributor

@bmorechick 

It'll be fine I predict....!!!

Better be...that's what I'll be doing shortly with the one that's been living in my "panic Freezer" since LAST holidays!!!!  ( the panic freezer being where I store food I panic bought during Covid....O no what if I can't get XXXXXX?!?!?!???

Every year I say I'm NOT going to buy "one of the freezer" and then...I do!!!

Enjoy it!!

No one will know if you don't tell them.

And, it's not going to get any newer in the freezer!!!

I suppose you could save it for just yourselves....I live alone and share mine with the feral cats....( I don't like white meat, so I eat as much as I can stomach to not waste it, then they get some...!) And I  mine is about 12 pounds....a little bigger than an oven stuffer chicken....

I also thaw mine in the fridge, and when it's just starting to thaw, I take it out and halve it with my Mark Charles set of four snips. I make a wing, breast and leg half. I roast the removed back in the first cooking.

The bird is still full of ice, ice cold flesh, and I put the second half back in the freezer and use it the next time I want poultry. I know they say you can't refreeze thawed meat, but I figure it's still mostly frozen, so I do, and have been doing so for decades and I'm still here!!!

Anyway...use yours and enjoy it!!!

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 

Did you suggest Walmart or Aldi?!

Our stores are FULL of them  ( W PA area)...

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We don't always have turkey for Thanksgiving. often we've had ham, pasta or something else. It seems good to break with tradition; Thanksgiving isn't about what you eat, anyway. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

I read that Turkey was going to be expensive this holiday season. I already have two free turkeys available for pick up....up to 20 lbs. i earned them with points from grocery shopping.

I'll put them in the freezer for later.  Turkey is not my favorite holiday meal.

I think Turkey prices will go down closer to thanksgiving.....stores will lower prices to entice people to shop there.

@Carmie @teganslaw 

Yep, turkey isnt my sister's favorite either. Our small group now goes out to dinner for Thanksgiving---and she orders something off the regular dinner menu other than their Turkey Dinner Special........

For leftovers, Ill get the already cooked small Turkey breast and some Stove Top Dressing, and add veggies .....

My sister loves to host Christmas.....and she cooks an Italian meal.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@bmorechick wrote:

We typically only eat the turkey breast so I buy two Butterball breasts every year...however, I have a 20 lb bird in my freezer that I got for free last year for racking up 300$ in groceries over a specific time period.  I was going to go ahead and cook it but I'm wondering if it's not lost some flavor.  I don't know about using it. Internet says its alright. Anyone ever cook a bird that's been in deep freeze for a year?

@bmorechick  Many, many times! We've always bought 2 turkeys the week before Thanksgiving (which is usually when prices are lowest around here). While we usually cook the 2nd turkey sometime in spring/summer the following year, lots of times that 2nd turkey has been the next year's Thanksgiving dinner! We don't notice any difference in flavor.

Honored Contributor

@Othereeeen wrote:

@sunshine45 

Did you suggest Walmart or Aldi?!

Our stores are FULL of them  ( W PA area)...

not sure how much the restaurant pays for their turkeys normally. maybe they will just go out to regular grocery stores and purchase the turkeys there? all i know is that we were told that they have been unable to get turkeys and anything on the menu that said turkey was not available. it would be strange for them to NOT serve turkey on thanksgiving.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

All food costs are exorbitant, no law saying you have to eat turkey. Buy something that you can afford and it will be fine. 

Respected Contributor

@RetRN 

And if you have guests and they complain about your menu....say what I do:

"McDonald's is open...see ya!!"

Trusted Contributor

I'm hoping to buy at Aldi this week and catch a deal.  I buy at least 4 during the holiday period.  We keep them in the freezer and eat throughout the year.  Also stock up on Hams during the holiday period.  

I really appreciate the extra meat in February.  I can cook a Turkey on Sunday and make muliple dinners throughout the week.  Quite a savings and makes my life easier.  We don't necessarily cook a "Thanksgiving" meal later on it may be Turkey with Rice and salad.