Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@gidgetgh    They've been warning us this was coming so it should not be a huge surprise to anyone.  They may become completely unavailable so its probably wise to buy now if you really want one.

@Kachina624 - she's decided to make chicken instead.

@gidgetgh  not surprised especially talking about Publix. I still shop there anyway.

Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

99¢ per # at KROGER today

@Desertdi  now that sounds like Kroger. Usually we need two so will check them out tomorrow.

Esteemed Contributor

@new nickname 4 wrote:

I saw on news this morning, the food banks are saying they're needing donations of turkeys.  I think they may need to adjust their expectations on what is available, and whether people have money left to donate.  Maybe they should encourage people to donate pork roast (although I know some people don't eat pork because of their religion).

I only have myself, I can easily do chicken, or ground turkey meatloaf.  

And of course, if all else fails, maybe we can all try Marie's tofu turkey.I loved that show.

MV5BOGFmYjRmM2ItOGJhYS00MTc5LWJjMmEtNmQyNjhlNzc2MzdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjYyNDMwOQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

@new nickname 4  the 'Tofu turkey". nooooooo lol

Respected Contributor

@bmorechick 

Yes, I cooked a year old Butterball turkey and it was just fine.

Honored Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@gidgetgh    They've been warning us this was coming so it should not be a huge surprise to anyone.  They may become completely unavailable so its probably wise to buy now if you really want one.

@Kachina624 - she's decided to make chicken instead.

@gidgetgh  not surprised especially talking about Publix. I still shop there anyway.

@Sage04 - me too. Great store.  I literally talked to my neighbor through the window as she was in her car leaving and I was going in the store.  I didn't ask her the turkey specifics. Maybe it was organic or something. 

I spent a ton at Publix on Wednesday. It is gas gift card week and I save my stock up trips for when they are running that promotion.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

got one yesterday......frozen butterball at about 18.5 pounds.

it will be my backup if i cannot find a 22 pounder within the next two weeks or so.

my daughter found it at shoprite for around $44.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I bought one this week at a local discount grocery store. I paid 89 cents a pound and it's a big turkey! Jennie O brand

I have lots of people to feed

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Turkey prices

[ Edited ]

Our local news had a big report on "turkey wars". Supermarkets are having real problems getting people to spend big for holiday meals this year because of how expensive groceries are now. Several grocers are selling big turkeys for the same price as last year and other holiday baking needs and things like sweet potatoes, etc for the same price as a year ago.  Now a couole of the stores are cutting their turkey prices even further of another grocer is selling for less, etc. 

Amazing

I think retailers are worried about being stuck with huge holiday turkeys and other holiday foods after Thanksgiving so want to sell them all now. 

Contributor

I have cooked a turkey that was frozen for a year and it turned out just fine .Think about all the unsold Turkey's they are stored in freezers and sold later they are not throwing them out.

Frequent Contributor

@mimomof4 wrote:

I'm hoping to buy at Aldi this week and catch a deal.  I buy at least 4 during the holiday period.  We keep them in the freezer and eat throughout the year.  Also stock up on Hams during the holiday period.  

I really appreciate the extra meat in February.  I can cook a Turkey on Sunday and make muliple dinners throughout the week.  Quite a savings and makes my life easier.  We don't necessarily cook a "Thanksgiving" meal later on it may be Turkey with Rice and salad.

Aldi had frozen butterball premium for 1.05 a lb today.  They were on the small side which was what i wanted. also they had the cheese advent calendar!