Honored Contributor

My mom keeps a plastic gallon ice cream container with lid in her fridge. She puts garbage in it that might stink, and keeps the lid on it. She dumps it into the trash the day it goes out. Never any stink in the fridge during the week, no gnats, and no stinky kitchen trash or trash can at the curb.

Honored Contributor

I mistakenly purchased scented trash bags at the grocery store once and the scent lingered inside the can for weeks after just having one bag in there.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

@Marp wrote:

I have had moderate to excellent success with spraying the inside of the kitchen garbage bag and sometimes the top of the garbage itself with Poo Pourri.

I saw them demonstrate that one of the times that it was on last. They showed a little video or something, and they sprayed the garbage cans with it, and also sprayed some of it in the sink drain as well.....Good that you can use it for other things as well. 

@CANDLEQUEEN 

I am going to try that for my sink drain. I have these little yellow deodorizes called plink. They are an air freshener for the Garbage Disposal. It gives it a nice lemon scent.

Respected Contributor

I live in the desert SW & my garage can get blisteringly hot in the summer.  I keep a an old thermometer on the workbench & the current temp out there is 100° at 10pm.  Both my 90 gallon trash & recyling toters are out there in the far corner nearest the garage door.  For the garbage, I double & triple bag the stinkiest things in all the plastic grocery bags I seem to be accumulating now that the stores don't allow my own reusable bags anymore & it goes into my plastic kitchen bags, which I don't usually put out in the toter until when I put the cans out the night before.  For my recycling, I wash any food residue out with soap & water before tossing into the recycling bin. 

I don't have much choice, as our HOA will yell if the toters are visible other than on pickup day & I don't want to drag them over the rocks to put them in my backyard.

I don't have an odor or bug problem in my garage from the toters being in there all week, & if they do start to smell I rinse them out with soapy water (Dawn) with some Lysol in it.  I think a lot of the time, they get so hot that it sort of "cooks" out any stank that might be in there, so they're pretty odor-free.  I can't smell anything when I open them & sniff & I have a pretty sensitive nose!  I think it's that "dry heat" thing!

Esteemed Contributor

If I have anything that I think is really going to stink up the garage, I put those items (onion, chicken, etc) in a plastic bag, tie it up and stick in the freezer until garbage day.

Should the garbage start smelling up the garage, I pour some bleach in the can.

Also, clean out your can with some bleach & water at least once a month - in the hot summer it might need twice a month.

Honored Contributor

I wash mine out with bleach and water when it starts to smell.  I fill it about 1/4 full of water, add half a bottle of bleach and let it sit for 5 minutes.  I use a long toilet bowl brush (purchased just for this) to scrub as it allows me to reach the bottom.  Wear gloves and be careful not to splash it in your face or on your clothes.  

Honored Contributor

You can get trash pick up containers, put outside ,from companies, they come and empty.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Re: Trash can in Garage

[ Edited ]

I appreciate so much all the fantastic replies. So many suggestions to try and I will!

We are not supposed to keep the Can outsideMan Sad

I dont have a hose right now. Man MadMaybe will get one in the near future. It could for sure use a good cleaning!!

Going to put food trash in the Freezer and see how that works out!

Thank you all very much!Man Very Happy

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller