Esteemed Contributor

@Marp wrote:

I have had moderate to excellent success with spraying the inside of the kitchen garbage bag and sometimes the top of the garbage itself with Poo Pourri.

That is a great idea, @Marp. I'm gonna try it myself. 

Esteemed Contributor

Don't know if this was already mentioned, In my town home community we are required to keep our trash cans in the garage except for weekly pickup day. What works for me in the summer is to keep a small bag for trashed food items in the freezer. Out it goes into the large trash bag and can on collection day.

Honored Contributor

BY keeping a garbage can in the garage, you're just asking for an invasion of rodents and insects.  I stores dog food in a heavy vinyl rolling trash can in my attached garage.  Mice chewed a hole in the bottom to eat the dog food but they also invaded the house.  I'll never again keep food in the garage in a garbage can or otherwise.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Do you have to keep it in the garage?  Why not outside.

Honored Contributor
We power wash ours often, but a quality odor absorbing cat litter or charcoal briquets in the bottom of the can will help absorb the garbage smells.
Respected Contributor

You need some superduper liquid cleaner and a garden hose.   Don't be shy.  Do it on your lawn so the mess goes on the grass.    I do this now and then, when I feel the motivation.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Re: Trash can in Garage

[ Edited ]

Do you have an out-of-the-way place in your yard where you can start a compost pile?

Your local garden center probably sells compost bins - and if not - there's always Amazon.

Esteemed Contributor

I've been told spraying amonia on the baga will keep away the critters.  Keepiing  mothballs there will keep mice away.  You might want to put the ones that come in netted bags that you can hang inside the car's engine compartment to prevent mice also.

Remember these are dangerous to our furbabies so keep them away from them.

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@CherryHugs   Oh got you!  I thought the can itself had become rancid.  I will tell you that (if you can), we put anything like bones or things that we know will stink in the freezer and then toss them in on trash day right before we roll it out to the curb.  

This is something my mother in law taught me when I was first married ..l

and I have continued throughout my married life ... especially meat .....

Esteemed Contributor

I wash my cans frequently and use pine sol or scrubbing bubbles.  I put a splash of pine sol in mine, including the recycling bucket.  It helps but I haven’t found a total solution in hot weather.  When it rains and I have an empty container, I leave it in the rain after a few sprays of cleaner.  Really does help keep odor down.

Leaving cans outside attracts vermin.  

For dog waste, I keep a metal container with lid in the garage and store it in there until trash day.  No more smell.