Trusted Contributor

I wouldn't depend on Trader Joe's for anything.  Their bread is sugary, their frozen foods are not as healthy as the national brands, and their chip brands aren't as good either.

I thoght, before they opened by me, based on what posters said here, that they were a healthy alternative to preserved meats and fast food packaged stuffs.  But when they opened by me, I found out they were their own brand of junk food/fast food stuffs.

Honored Contributor

I am not a Trader Joe's fan. I see what others buy but I don't eat any of those kinds of (junk) food. I've been in TJ's several times, thinking what am I missing here? I got nothin. Nothing appeals to me whatsoever. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@stuyvesant wrote:

I wouldn't depend on Trader Joe's for anything.  Their bread is sugary, their frozen foods are not as healthy as the national brands, and their chip brands aren't as good either.

I thoght, before they opened by me, based on what posters said here, that they were a healthy alternative to preserved meats and fast food packaged stuffs.  But when they opened by me, I found out they were their own brand of junk food/fast food stuffs.

@stuyvesant   TJ's does sell fresh produce and meat.  Some organic, too.

You can find junk food and not so healthy frozen foods even at Whole Foods.

TJ's isn't our main market but there is enough there to make a healthy shopping trip if needed.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Sooner  I've never been to Aldi's, but what you described sure doesn't sound like my TJ's.  Mine has:  Great produce and meats, great baked goods, great selection of frozen foods, great dairy, awesome selection of nuts, and the best selection of cheeses I've ever seen, etc., etc., etc.

Honored Contributor

Unexpected Cheddar 

to fully appreciated it - take a chunk and eat it plain

little bits of crumbly and flavor crystals - like what u get with parm cheese

Unknown.jpeg

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

If you love Aldi's you will probably love TJ's.  It is basically the same thing--some food and a lot of snacks, sugar, and stuff.  

The stores are even arranged the same was basically at Aldi's. 

One of these bought the other, so yes they are pretty much the same.

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

@Sooner  I've never been to Aldi's, but what you described sure doesn't sound like my TJ's.  Mine has:  Great produce and meats, great baked goods, great selection of frozen foods, great dairy, awesome selection of nuts, and the best selection of cheeses I've ever seen, etc., etc., etc.

@Krimpette You are lucky.  Ours has really bad meat and not so great produce (so much is already wrapped too), and the baked goods, frozen foods are often main dish items we wouldn't buy.  We don't buy a lot of cheese either.

But I haven't been there in a long time, so maybe it changed. 

I couldn't go to our Trader Joe's and get the items I buy regularly to cook. So a lot depends on what you are looking for and how you eat.   

Ours is packed with candy, snacks, pastries, and toiletries and impulse items I'm not going to a grocery store for. And I'm don't buy unfamiliar brands at this time, since I'm trying to hold the bill down and stick to what I need.  I hate to grocery shop too, so maybe that affects my attitude!  Woman Wink  

Respected Contributor

i like Trader Joe's and i do stop in .  Years ago their stores used to have of packaged foods, snacks and mostly frozen foods.  i like their Muir Glen tomatoes and their italian sausage. their produce is very nice.  the team members are so friendly!   only stop in occasionally as the parking is just a nightmare, its in a strip mall in a town that has every retail mall and big box store, auto dealers, under the sun crammed into a 4 mile stretch. traffic the pits!!

Honored Contributor

@Sooner  I'd be lost without my Trader Joe's!  I live alone and they meet all my grocery needs.  Whatever they don't have (paper goods, cleaning supplies, etc.) I buy from Amazon!  I go to my local Trader Joe's every week.  And as a plus.....they have the friendliest, most helpful staff I've ever encountered.  A far cry from my local Safeway, where I used to shop!

Respected Contributor

Potstickers!!