Esteemed Contributor

Airport TSA incidents

[ Edited ]

Anyone going through TSA checkpoints and found to have evidence of bomb making materials on their hands or clothing?  

Five years ago this happened to my husband a few days ago the same thing happened to a family friend.  I was able to research it and sometimes it is caused by using products with nitrates and glycerin which are common to hand lotions, soaps, hand sanitizers. Also there were comments about handling coin to make change or pay for items at airports.  

Just curious.  My husband was compliant and was rather amused.  Our friend was just the opposite.  

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu - It happened to me last fall. I was incredulous, but I didn't say anything! There was no explanation. ! They pulled me aside and two agents, a male and a female, dusted my palms with some substance. Then they let me go through, but I had that stuff all over my hands. I couldn't wait to wash my hands! 

It must have been the hand sanitizer!   Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

That happened to a friend we were traveling with a few years ago.  We were returning from Hawaii and had just returned our rental car.  He was driving and of course you have to stop for gas and fill up prior to returning the car.  TSA said is was from the gas pump.

Honored Contributor

It happens but rarely now due to upgraded scanning technology.  With all that's going on with air travel now, I haven't heard any complain security measures.  Still, the false alarms were never as problematic as you seem to think.  

Honored Contributor

It happens to me every time that I fly. I can not remember when I haven't been pulled aside for an enhanced check in the last 20 years. 

I have been scanned, swabbed, had to remove clothing down to my camisole and had to talk to numerous supervisors. One time we were close to missing our flight because we had to talk to so many supervisors. It took well over 45 minutes because we had 1 oz of water left in a bottle. We couldn't find a trash can. So we had to talk to what seemed like every TSA supervisor in the Philadelphia airport.

Don't know why but I am always pulled aside. Yes, this 70 year old woman seems to test positive for bomb making material each flight. And I guess they like to have me put on a show as they ask me to take off my sweater or tops.

My Dad was a pilot and I loved to go flying. It didn't matter small plane or big plane. It used to be fun. Now I will only fly as a last resort. It is to the point that we have to factor in extra time because it is a given I will be pulled aside.

Esteemed Contributor

Within days of 9/11 I had to take an international trip.  Things were so disorganized that I thought taking only a carryon backpack would be a good thing.  Boy was I wrong!  Never, never have I been searched like that.

The whole time I was thinking, why would someone with fresh nails blow up a plane?  At least I didn't mention it.

Esteemed Contributor

I understand the need for it.  But annoying and kind of takes the fun out of the vacation as I vacation to relax and avoid worrying about whatever is going on in the world. And would hate to miss a connection or a plane to our destination. 

My husband seems a target.  

We are senior citizens and perhaps it is hand washing or touching coin.  He does not use moisturizers.   We use  Pre-Check and also travel pretty light.  We check our bags and carry very little aboard.  He does have a Pacemaker and has to report it so as to screen more carefully through alternative devices. I also will add he has dark hair and olive skin.  Perhaps his appearance invites extra searches. Hope not.  

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, happened to our son when we were on a family trip probably 15 years ago.  Never did figure out what triggered the machine to alert, but they checked him thoroughly and let us go on our way.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

All 5 times I've been to Cancun, I got the red light.  I stopped going there because of that.  J/K