Honored Contributor

@1Snickers Not free range eggs. I just bought them at Aldi today for $2.39 which was a bargain. At other stores they're  closer to $4.00.

Esteemed Contributor

My one set of grandparents were farmers and grandma rasied chickens and geese. I'd help grandma gather eggs from the hen house - getting the chickens off their eggs and putting the eggs in a basket. The eggs were always warm.

Some eggs were used that day in food preparation, some were sold to the creamery when the fresh milk was picked up, and some were stored in their cool basement. No one worried about refrigerating eggs back then since their refrigeration wasn't much to speak of! I'm sure your eggs are just fine!

Esteemed Contributor

Think of it this way.

Do hens lay their eggs in a nest where the air temperature is 40°?

No, they don't.

They lay eggs (real farm eggs) in warm temperatures. They lay eggs in the middle of summer when it's blazing hot.

So your eggs should be fine.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Freshly laid eggs have a protective coating on them.  Once that coating is washed off - as in the U.S. - they must be refrigerated.

In the UK and Ireland they don't wash them so they can leave them out on the counter.

This is what I have always been told too.  At any rate since it has been so cold I would probably keep them since the temp you identify is really as cold as your refrigerator would have been. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain  I just get regular eggs, they're cheaper and I only eat two & one for the dog on Sunday. Don't cook much with them. 
   Aldi has good prices!  
  Free range reminds me of my father in Law who was a farmer. His chickens were in coops. But my husband's  brother decided to let them free. 
   We visited and I couldn't sleep late because he had too many roosters. They would crow way off in the distance then the ones near us would, then the ones at a chicken farm across the street. They had a lot of eggs.

My FIL a didn't talk much. He commented that he needed to get rid of some roosters. 
   He also told me red hens lay brown eggs. I thought he was joking but my husband said it's true. 
   Then my BIL bought turkeys and forgot to put them inside before it rained. They are too dumb to come in out of the rain! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2   Hello 👋 from Suffolk County. Long Island temps have been pretty cool. Your eggs are fine.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 How much did you pay for the eggs?  How much is your co-pay for your health insurance?  

Do the math!  Woman Wink  I always try to think of it that way.  

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@Jordan2   Hello 👋 from Suffolk County. Long Island temps have been pretty cool. Your eggs are fine.

Yes @NicksmomESQ , Hi from Nassau County! It has been so cold the past few days I am sure @Jordan2 your eggs will be fine. In fact, you are lucky they didn't freeze in your trunk. Everything turned to ice around here....

Honored Contributor

Spoke with Valley Stream son on his way home from work today at 4 pm.  He said it was 49*.  I'm about 150 miles south in Cape May county NJ and it was only 39*.  (Whaaat?)

I think he said it poured on Saturday, so it was above freezing.

I'd pitch them and that would kill me to do because I only buy organic.