Honored Contributor

Freshly laid eggs have a protective coating on them.  Once that coating is washed off - as in the U.S. - they must be refrigerated.

In the UK and Ireland they don't wash them so they can leave them out on the counter.

Respected Contributor

If eggs sink to the bottom of a bowl of cold water they are fine, if they float toss them

Honored Contributor

Funny that two of you mentioned testing the egg in water. I did that, the egg sank like a stone! When I'm ready to eat one, I'll crack it open and give it a look and whiff.

Honored Contributor

Keep!  I leave eggs out over night on the counter  all the time to get them to room temp before hard boiling. They do not go bad that fast. 

Honored Contributor

This is from Eating Well Magazine.

3. Eggs

Eggs are something I always have on hand, but rarely keep track of how long they have been in the fridge. Living alone means I only use one or two eggs at a time unless I'm cooking for someone else too, so they can sit in the fridge for a while. Luckily, eggs can last nearly 70 days if properly refrigerated. That's typically three to four weeks beyond the expiration date.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

At Aldi eggs only cost about .69 a dozen. I would buy new! 

Honored Contributor

KEEP.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 - My first inclination was to agree with everyone else here. But if the temperature went down overnight, and there was a chance they froze, I would probably toss them.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I'm still living, I just checked my egg carton this morning since I have been keeping them in stock, and I was working out of the carton that expired three weeks ago, LOL. They are fine.

After seeing eggs on the shelf without refrigeration in Europe I checked recently and the message is no they don't require refrigeration, but they last longer if you do.  So a day not refrigerated is no big deal. 

Esteemed Contributor
Eggs are relatively inexpensive - I would toss. I once accidentally left strawberries in the trunk overnight and they were not pretty the next day. I don’t know where you keep your car and how cold it actually gets in your trunk, but they were in the dark (and possibly moist) trunk for days and I wouldn’t personally risk it after my own unintended science experiment.