Honored Contributor

I decided to post here because I thought it would get the most attention. I went food shopping Saturday morning in Valley Stream, NY. I accidentally left the eggs in the trunk, I took them out today at around noon. The temperature was between 32-39 degrees. Should I toss the eggs or do you think they are fine to eat? I'm wondering if it's not worth the risk.

Super Contributor

Re: Toss Or Keep

[ Edited ]

I'm sure they are fine. The average temp for home refrig is 40 degrees. Google is a great resource. Some people leave their eggs on the kitchen counter, no refrigeration: i.e. Martha Stewart.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2.  They will be fine to eat, do not toss.  I've noticed in Great Britain kitchens they keep eggs on the kitchen counters in cute, innovative containers.  I recently left a bag with my eggs in the garage for 2 days.  They were fine.  Eggs in the shell are not very fragile.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I would definitely keep.  Some people say eggs don't even need to be refrigerated.  Not sure I agree with that, but with the temperature in the 30's the eggs should be fine.

Occasional Contributor

I live in Oceanside NY. Definetly cold enough overnight that your eggs should be good. Enjoy them!

Esteemed Contributor

Crack one - pour in small bowl - does the yolk look perky & good color.?

If not - crack the rest for the garbage disposal.....................

Trusted Contributor

I was surprised, many years ago, to find that some people in England keep their eggs out on the counter at room temperature.  And these were contemporary houses with central heating, not pre-war housing.  I would not be comfortable doing that, but it does seem to indicate that eggs are fairly sturdy.  Presumably a car trunk in the winter is much cooler than a centrally heated kitchen.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I decided to post here because I thought it would get the most attention. I went food shopping Saturday morning in Valley Stream, NY. I accidentally left the eggs in the trunk, I took them out today at around noon. The temperature was between 32-39 degrees. Should I toss the eggs or do you think they are fine to eat? I'm wondering if it's not worth the risk.

@Jordan2 If in doubt, toss it out.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 

If I suspect an egg might be "bad," I place it in a bowl of water.

If it floats, it's bad.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Super Contributor

Many other countries do not keep their eggs in the fridge.  I agree to break one open and see if they possibly got too cold and froze over night, in which case I would toss them all.