Trusted Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@JamandBread wrote:

Tomorrow we celebrate the Federal Holiday. All banks closed, no postal delivery.

Its a great day to learn more about how this all went down and finally is recognized and taught about.

P.s. Thanks @gertrudecloset for your post!

Hi there, you're welcome and I hope you are well.  Glad to see you!

Hi! I am well! So glad to see you too!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Today is Juneteenth Day

[ Edited ]

@SEGardener wrote:

Why wasn't this celebrated on September 22 the date Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation? 

Why do we celebrate Christmas on December 25th when most historians agree that Christ wasn't born on that date?  June 19th holds far more significance as the day slaves were actually freed vs a signature.  Juneteenth has been celebrated as a holiday on June 19th since 1866, a year after the final slaves were told they were free.

Respected Contributor

@gertrudecloset  thanks for your post !  A very important date in the history of this country !

Esteemed Contributor

The reality of Juneteenth far, far outweighs the symbolism of The Emancipation Proclamation. 

How wonderful that this significant day has officially been recognized! 

As noted, it will take some a long hard trek to catch up.

Respected Contributor

Juneteenth started in Galveston, Texas. When I was teaching, I had several African -American students who had never heard of Juneteenth until they read about it in their Texas history book. I was surprised...and told them to ask their parents if they knew what it was, and they said no. The kids were so excited to have something new to teach their parents...they all came back to school saying they had taught their mom or dad about Juneteenth. Many of them schedule their annual family reunions around Juneteenth celebrations. 

QVC Customer Care

This thread is closed for commenting...