Trusted Contributor

Birth of the U.S. Army Special Forces.

My husband served 35 years in the U.S. Army SPEC OPS, and specifically served 32 years in Special Forces.

Two sons retired from S.F.

My youngest also 18 Series was KIA.

All 18 Series.

I am proud of them all.

De Oppresso Liber!

Esteemed Contributor

June 19th 1953

After the failure of court appeals and of a worldwide campaign for mercy, husband and wife Julius and Ethel Rosenberg were put to death this day in 1953, becoming the first American civilians to be executed for espionage.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

June 19, 1934, the FCC was born (Federal Communications Commission).

Trusted Contributor
@Malcontent... Please thank your husband and two sons for me for their service! It is very much appreciated! A heart for each of them: ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ God bless them all.
Trusted Contributor
@gertrudecloset... I really don't think this thread started by @Malcontent was meant for anyone to mention just anything that happened on June 19th! She didn't say that she did! To me she's expressing how proud she is of her husband and sons serving in the service and you post about a husband and wife being executed for espionage the next year?!?!?! How rude of you to high jack her thread when I'm sure others want to say thank you to her husband and sons! ...and you never said thank you!
Trusted Contributor

It seems to me this thread was started to highlight things that happened on Juneteenth other than Juneteenth.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: June 19th – 1952

[ Edited ]

@EastCoastGal wrote:
@gertrudecloset... I really don't think this thread started by @Malcontent was meant for anyone to mention just anything that happened on June 19th! She didn't say that she did! To me she's expressing how proud she is of her husband and sons serving in the service and you post about a husband and wife being executed for espionage the next year?!?!?! How rude of you to high jack her thread when I'm sure others want to say thank you to her husband and sons! ...and you never said thank you!

The United States Army Special Forces, also known as the Green Berets, was established as a basic branch of the U.S. Army on April 9, 1987 after operating in countless conflicts globally since 1952 – when it was formed under the command of Col. Aaron Bank as the 10th Special Forces Group (Airborne). The name Green Berets was coined due to their distinctive rifle green beret—authorized by President John F. Kennedy in 1961.

History of the Army Special Forces

Historically, the U.S. used guerrilla-type forces during missions dating back to the Alamo Scouts. During the Korean War, Philippine guerilla commanders formulated an unconventional warfare doctrine that would ultimately be used for the establishment of the Special Forces. The unit’s first deployment was to Bad Tolz, Germany. By the Department of the Army General Order No. 35, the branch was officially established as a basic branch of the U.S. Army on April 9, 1987.

Tasks

U.S. Army Special Forces are trained to engage in unconventional warfare or lead clandestine guerilla forces. The unit has nine doctoral missions: unconventional warfare, foreign internal defense, direct action, counter-insurgency, special reconnaissance, counter-terrorism, information operations, counterproliferation of weapons of mass destruction and security force assistance. As such, soldiers must have expert language skills and be well-versed in local and regional culture.

Organizational Structure of the Army Special Forces

Currently, the Special Forces are divided into five active duty and two Army National Guard groups. These groups are the 1st Special Forces Group, 3rd Special Forces Group, 5th Special Forces Group, 7th Special Forces Group, 10th Special Forces Group, 19th Special Forces Group and the 20th Special Forces Groups. Each group has a specialized regional focus.

https://blog.uspatriottactical.com/celebrating-the-army-special-forces-birthday/

Esteemed Contributor

Juneteenth and the sacrifice and bravery of @Malcontent 's family and others like hers....pretty monumental things in my book.   

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

@Malcontent wrote:

Birth of the U.S. Army Special Forces.

My husband served 35 years in the U.S. Army SPEC OPS, and specifically served 32 years in Special Forces.

Two sons retired from S.F.

My youngest also 18 Series was KIA.

All 18 Series.

I am proud of them all.

De Oppresso Liber!

I thought you were doing a "this day in history."  No such event occurred in 1952 as you described it.   If you have ever mentioned your loved ones during Memorial Day or Veteran's Day, and I was here to post, I would of course, tell you thank you to them and your for your service.  

Be well.

Esteemed Contributor

@JamandBread wrote:

It seems to me this thread was started to highlight things that happened on Juneteenth other than Juneteenth.

https://history.army.mil/html/faq/branches.html, thank you!