Respected Contributor

Re: 🌞Tips For Postive Thinking? Pessimist Or Optimist?

i'm an optimist by nature.  i know some people, not many, thank heavens who are not. 

being around them is such a downer and i have always thought how unhappy they must be and how lucky i am.

Respected Contributor

@Pruett

in answer to your question who is optimistic versus pessimistic and why, my answer would be we're taught what we've been raised to believe and  i think it may also be hereditary.  life experiences also probably play a part.

Honored Contributor

We're all answering this question based on our own definitions of the terms.

So I'll go along and say that I am a humorous pessimist and that nothing grates on me more than pithy sentiments and bumper-sticker validations.

Oh, and hi there, chickybutt, a.k.a. @chickenbutt

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

realistnoun

a person who tends to view or represent things as they really are.
an artist or a writer whose work is characterized by realism.
Philosophy. an adherent of realism.

A true realist definition. 
*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

I try to be optimistic and I like to be around optimistic people but that is getting more difficult lately (don't know if it is the current world problems or that people just get pessimistic with age).  I also have a realistic view of life.  I have worked hard to get where I am in life and it has not been all rainbows but I know many are worse off then I am. 

Respected Contributor

I am an optimist by faith.  

The best tip I can offer for staying out of 'the dumps', is to be grateful.  At the end of every day list 3 things, no matter how seemingly small or inconsequential, for which you can say Thank You.  Before long, you will find your eyes open throughout the day to the wonder in your life.  It truly is  life altering.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

We're all answering this question based on our own definitions of the terms.

So I'll go along and say that I am a humorous pessimist and that nothing grates on me more than pithy sentiments and bumper-sticker validations.

Oh, and hi there, chickybutt, a.k.a. @chickenbutt

@suzyQ3 You iz a woman after me own heart.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

The best tip I can offer for staying out of 'the dumps', is to be grateful.  At the end of every day list 3 things, no matter how seemingly small or inconsequential, for which you can say Thank You.  Before long, you will find your eyes open throughout the day to the wonder in your life.  It truly is  life altering.

I agree with this @IamMrsG.  Another would be "humility."

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@IamMrsG-

My daughter has done this for a year and said it has really changed how she feels (in good ways)Smiley Happy

I thought at first well that sounds kind of cheesyWoman Indifferent but it alters how we view our days or what we focus on.

Sitting outside with nature is what really helps me too to appreciate.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

Optimist...although I think I am a realist too. I know when to realize there isn't always a light at the end of the tunnel..

@Trinity11  Agree.

The proverbial light at the end of the tunnel may just be the headlight on the front of the train coming at you, too.

Seriously, finding a balance between what can be changed and what cannot be changed is the difference between being hopeful/optimistic and being disheartened/pessimistic.

I guess the serenity prayer comes in handy if I'm allowed to say so.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh