Regular Contributor

🌞Tips For Postive Thinking? Pessimist Or Optimist?

Are you a pessimist or optimist? 

Do you do anything in particular to lift your mood when you get a down in the dumps feeling? 

Any tips for positive thinking?

tia! Smiley Happy

HAVE A NICE DAY! Smiley Happy

Sunshine

Honored Contributor

Re: 🌞Tips For Postive Thinking? Pessimist Or Optimist?

Image result for tips for positive thinking images

Honored Contributor

Image result for tips for positive thinking images

Esteemed Contributor

I would say I’m a reformed pessimist.  Every coin has two sides and I do my best to see the positive side.  I lift my mood by taking a walk and/or making a mental list of all the things I’m grateful for.  Having a grateful heart makes a big difference.  For instance, if I’m trying to get somewhere and everything keeps going wrong, I can get crabby or think that maybe there’s a reason I’m being delayed, that the Universe is looking out for me.  I really do try to see the positives in everything, including what seems like a negative event. 

walk-bad-mood.jpg

Trusted Contributor

@Pruett,

There is a lot of truth to the saying, "Misery loves company". Truly miserable people will gravitate toward each other and just stew in their own negativity. When I have days when the "storm clouds are gathering" I try to consciously tamp the negativity down and stay optimistic because there is nothing worse than a Debbie downer. I learned a long time ago that happiness is a choice.

dee

Honored Contributor

I think with truly sad things, I definitely cry and am sad, but in general, I tend to have a lot of hope.

If I am starting to feel down  about general and all things and my life, I do try to think of things I am grateful for.

So interesting the study they did with veterans who have ptsd and had them write things they were grateful for. In some 90 plus %, it really elevated their overall mood.They found that

our brains cannot think negatively at the same time we are thankful or grateful.

And I pretty much have running conversations with the one aboveSmiley Happy!

I know people sometimes say, well we have it a lot better than so and so, but that doesn't always help I think when someone is truly in some worrisome straits because each persons sorrow and pain is personal to them.

I do think it helps to go out and talk or help someone-a neighbor, family, a friend or even a stranger-to connect to the world.

But sometimes, we may feel too sad or down to do that and that's when I talk to Him always and also my bff's-my kidsSmiley Happy 

As one of my wise daughters said-"Mom, we share our joys and our sorrows."

Some people are born with an optimistic view and others not but I've known that someone can practice optimism and hope until it becomes more natural.

One thing Oprah said once (and not that I adhere to everything she says), is that "We've got to change the tape" (the one that runs over and over in our minds; from one of negativity to one of hope and seeing the good things in our lives and when there don't seem to be any-reach out.Heart

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Optimist...although I think I am a realist too. I know when to realize there isn't always a light at the end of the tunnel..

Honored Contributor

I used to be more optimistic but having gone thru breast cancer and then the way of the world of late, I am not feeling very good about the future. I wake up each day wondering which shoe will drop and what that shoe is going to do.

Honored Contributor

I don't know if there's an -ism for dealing with whatever happens in the best way I know how, but that's what I try to do each day.

Honored Contributor

I'm 'wired" to be an optimist.

If you only knew what all I've been through you would shake your head.

But I am happy, blessed and always looking forward to the future

@Pruett