Honored Contributor

Re: Tipping question, eating at Panera

@HappyDaze wrote:

Almost every restaurant I go to now does this but yes, if you have to pre-pay for your food like at Panera, I don't leave a tip at the time of payment. They've done nothing at that point but take my order and they did not come to me to take the order- I came to them. If I love the food and the service was friendly, I will leave a cash tip once I leave. 

I do NOT believe in automatic tipping - I already pay alot of money for the food now and work hard for my money. I will tip generously for good service and food though. 

I agree. If all goes well at these sorts of eateries, I'll stuff something into the tip jar as I leave... I'm not going to be forced to tip in advance for food or service that might turn out to be not worthy of a tip...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

I think Panera might be trying to transition into something else... At my Panera, all of a sudden, they bring your order to you... They still give you the little gizmo that used to let you know when your order is ready, but now, apparently, it tells them which table to take the order to... I suspect the new tip prompt is in anticipation of them becoming more of a full service restaurant... Goofy, if you ask me, because they still have the bins into which you're supposed to throw your trash and put your dirty dishes... and you still get your own drinks, napkins, seasonings and so on...

same with my panera. I thought it was odd, especially since they didn't also include a bus person. 

Valued Contributor

@dogsx3 wrote:

I went to Panara yesterday, and ordered a salad and a drink, before swiping my card the card machine asked me, "do you want to leave a tip, Yes or No " . i was shocked, how ackward !  First i did not even get my food yet to know if it was ok, and second if i leave a tip it will be at the end if service was good.  I  wasn't sure what to do, are they going to give me bad service if i say no ?  I do not think i will go there again it really turned me off. Any other ladies here have that happen ?

I have no idea what we should do. I'm glad you brougt it up, because we are tipping for everything these days, even tattoos,and it'sbecoming obnoxious. They are going to have to standaridize all of this in hospitality types of businesses at some point.

Esteemed Contributor

Remember the day you had furniture delivered, did you tip?  Or the rug cleaned?  My Father was a garbage man in the big city, the days when they picked up the can, threw it over their shoulder and ran after the truck to throw in garbage.  Old timers would remember.  No one tipped them or driver of the truck. They also made very good money.  I worked in a very great Italian restaurant back in the day.  We served, a least six courses starting with angioplasty.  We got tipped but service had to be excellent.  Salary, 1.75 an hour, union.  Dues 5.00 a month.  Loved the job, made great tips, but you got excellent service or they didn,t keep you.  Today, these kids want to be tipped for everything.  Went into PEETS coffee to buy my coffee for home.  If the kid was any slower, he would have fallen down and yet there is a tip jar, I guess because he had to grind the beans.  At this shop, the 1/2 and 1/2 creamer and at Panera where empty and so was the coffee urn.  No one checks anything, yet all these people running around.  I guess having been a waitress for 17 years back in the day, we would have been . Fired. My daughter says they don,t make enough money.  Try 1.75 an hour.You took pride in whatever your job was, a d gave your best.

Thanks for letting me post this. Tipping today is out of hand.  Remember the day the beauty operator gave you a Christmas gift?  Something small for appreciation being a customer.  Of course you did tip them.  Some of the old timers still do, but the majority expect a gift from you.  I give at Christmas to some.

Esteemed Contributor

What I was taught - Tipping is strictly for a job or service well done.  It is not just given.  In eating situations, you are to be served at a table by a server.  Depends on the service, then you tip accordingly and to what the 'rules' apply.  When we have had lousy service, we don't leave a tip at all.  When we serve ourselves, etc., no tip is necessary. 

As for the crafts and the vocational services, that is at your discretion. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Valued Contributor

Why would anyone tip at Panera?

Esteemed Contributor

My restaurant of choice is Panera if and when I go out.  However I have not been in a Panera for over a year.  I eat less and less out these days. 

I have always been of the understanding that if they serve you, you leave a tip, but if you stand there, order and then pick up the items, no tip is involved.  I must be out of date.           

Perhaps it is a new policy. Except for the cooking, I am doing all the work so I would prefer not to leave a tip.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

On the subject of tipping (not restaurants) my pet peeve is:

Ive been going to the same nail tech & girl who does my pedi for 5+ years. Both are excellent (Vietnamese shop) BUT in September last year a sign was posted - "Tips ca$h only will no longer be put on credit card"

So I ask my nail tech why? She said "oh processing fee owner takes 3.5%...Pedi girl says "No, it's not that it's because I made too much money & then I have to pay American taxes..." 

That annoyed the heck out of me considering they barely speak English....recently, my pedi girl (who is never lost for chat) said "Do you know it's OK now to put your tip on CC because it's a new year & you haven't been tipping as you did before and I know you give more on CC"

Nope....that is annoying & greedy.  It's true I did drop tip -why prices went up $7/pedi and $9/refill....

And my hairdresser🙄😳 (going to her for 6 years every 3 weeks h/c and then on 6 week - color, foil(5) & h/c - I have short spiked hair)

She raised her prices (for what I always have done) almost $20 more -- her theory is she lost a lot of her "standing older customers to death, assisted living, etc" -- so I dropped her tip too! 

I'm feeling every person has their hand out or in my wallet lately - where does it stop???😱💸

Trusted Contributor

I like you can put tips on your card instead of cash on the table, then they have to pay income taxes on tips. I think 10 or 15 % is enough in most restaurantstates.

I only once did not leave a tip, DH and I got ice cream Sundays, my husband asked me if I wanted his cherry, he does not eat them, waitress said " I'LL TAKE YOUR CHERRY" flirting  right in front of me. He just gave her the go away look, and no tip.

Trusted Contributor

I don't see any need to tip at Panera.  You order your food at the register, then you wait in line while it is prepared.  You get your own utensils, etc., and then you clear your table after you eat.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"