Respected Contributor

Re: Tipping question, eating at Panera

I think we can chalk this up to new automation. Some places besides Panera are going to kiosks and then the personal service will be less than now. This paying ahead bothers me too but I think it's for those instances where a customer is asking for more than usual, complicated order, or large number of things in a hurry. It's a way of rewarding effort. Panera employees are NOT in the $15 wage bracket.
Honored Contributor

@twins mom wrote:
I think we can chalk this up to new automation. Some places besides Panera are going to kiosks and then the personal service will be less than now. This paying ahead bothers me too but I think it's for those instances where a customer is asking for more than usual, complicated order, or large number of things in a hurry. It's a way of rewarding effort. Panera employees are NOT in the $15 wage bracket.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Jersey Mike's-pricey subway sandwich place in CA. does this and I allowed myself to be intimidated once-no more.  It just bothered me.  Also, when I go to pick up a pizza or other restaurant takeout food I also wonder what to do.

Any thoughts on that situation?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Press No and don't give it a second thought.

Respected Contributor

Our Panera has servers. you order at the counter, take a seat and they bring your food.

Everyone has always been very pleasant.

Honored Contributor

A Panera opened up near us last year and we were there last week and ran into the same thing with the tip. At this Panera they also had a lock box on the counter you could put a tip in on your way out. We thought this place was over priced and over rated, we served ourselves from picking our food up at the counter and then had to to ask for utensils to eat the food with and then dump the waste in the trash on our way out. We did not leave a tip. Of course we will never go back there, it reminds me of an eatery the hipsters would frequent and not even question how they run things.

Honored Contributor

No table service at the Paneras near me.  I order "to go" and the pad thingie asks me if I want to tip, with the order taker standing there.  I'm sorry, but I'm not tipping for someone to hand me a coffee cup and take my money.

Esteemed Contributor

@dogsx3 I've not encountered your experience; however, I believe tipping is optional depending on a lot of things. I sometimes order a salad to go from Spiros and always put a dollar or two in the cook's tip jar. I know the food is always good.

beyourself.jpg

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Frequent Contributor

I was never asked that question.

Honored Contributor

I think Panera might be trying to transition into something else... At my Panera, all of a sudden, they bring your order to you... They still give you the little gizmo that used to let you know when your order is ready, but now, apparently, it tells them which table to take the order to... I suspect the new tip prompt is in anticipation of them becoming more of a full service restaurant... Goofy, if you ask me, because they still have the bins into which you're supposed to throw your trash and put your dirty dishes... and you still get your own drinks, napkins, seasonings and so on...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...