Esteemed Contributor

Re: Tipping question, eating at Panera

[ Edited ]

Respected Contributor

They don't even make your coffee for you at Panera.  They give you an empty cup after you pay. 

I really see no reason to tip at Panera. 

Maybe if I had a really big and complicated order...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love the iced tea at Panera.  The only thing I will eat there is the black bean soup and a classic cafe salad--turkey vs. chicken.   The food there is so expensive anymore, and the salads are so small.  They measure out everything.  I paid about $13 or $14 for a classic cafe salad-double turkey and large iced tea.  I was not even full when I left.  I do go there often--only for the tea but it's almost $3 too.

I only tip when I pick up large orders from the catering places at Panera when I order for the offices I call on.  I never tip when I eat in for myself.  I've seen that "ask" come up too and I just click "no". 

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Esteemed Contributor

@Quse wrote:

I usually go through the drive through at Panera so I haven't encountered that. I have noticed more places with tip jars on counters...even saw one at a McDonalds.

@QuseThe only "tip jar" I've seen at McDonald's is for donations to McDonald House.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

Remember the day you had furniture delivered, did you tip?  Or the rug cleaned?  My Father was a garbage man in the big city, the days when they picked up the can, threw it over their shoulder and ran after the truck to throw in garbage.  Old timers would remember.  No one tipped them or driver of the truck. They also made very good money.  I worked in a very great Italian restaurant back in the day.  We served, a least six courses starting with angioplasty.  We got tipped but service had to be excellent.  Salary, 1.75 an hour, union.  Dues 5.00 a month.  Loved the job, made great tips, but you got excellent service or they didn,t keep you.  Today, these kids want to be tipped for everything.  Went into PEETS coffee to buy my coffee for home.  If the kid was any slower, he would have fallen down and yet there is a tip jar, I guess because he had to grind the beans.  At this shop, the 1/2 and 1/2 creamer and at Panera where empty and so was the coffee urn.  No one checks anything, yet all these people running around.  I guess having been a waitress for 17 years back in the day, we would have been . Fired. My daughter says they don,t make enough money.  Try 1.75 an hour.You took pride in whatever your job was, a d gave your best.

Thanks for letting me post this. Tipping today is out of hand.  Remember the day the beauty operator gave you a Christmas gift?  Something small for appreciation being a customer.  Of course you did tip them.  Some of the old timers still do, but the majority expect a gift from you.  I give at Christmas to some.

@ ITA.  And I'm surprised this thread has gotten this far without mention of tipping people because they are paid so little.

A tip is given for good service.  When it's given based on the hourly wage of the person giving the service, it's not a tip...it's charity.

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

I can't answer the Panera tipping question.  I've only been there once with a friend.  The floor was dirty to start.   Then her salad arrived full of dirt and grit.   She is to shy to say anything so I took it to the counter and showed the manager.  He said "Oh  we changed our greens supplier and I guess we need to check it."     I said 'that's it?'  and he just looked at me.  No offer to replace it or see if she wanted something else and she was charged for it.   Needless to say we didn't leave and tip and I've never set foot in a Panera since.

Honored Contributor

You have got to be kidding?  That's one of the reasons people like it because you don't have to tip, plus you are carrying your own tray.  I was in Panera yesterday and I did not get any message about tipping so maybe they are testing it in your area first.  If I carry my own tray back to my table and the trash, no tip.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

I am not tipping anyone for standing at a cash register taking my order or for cooking my food. I stopped eating at Panera several months ago when I went in at about 8 PM during the week.  there were about 4 customers in the place.  I placed my order and went to find a table.  THe tables were dirty, food on the floor, tables with plates, bowls and glasses left by people who did not bother to take them to the depository.  I cleaned off a table myself and after eating I went to stack my dirty dishes.  THe kiosk where you left your dirty dishes (a process I have never cared for) was stacked to overflowing with dirty dishes.  The entire time I was there eating I did not see a single employee enter the dining area.  It was disgusting and I will never return.

Valued Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@Quse wrote:

I usually go through the drive through at Panera so I haven't encountered that. I have noticed more places with tip jars on counters...even saw one at a McDonalds.

@QuseThe only "tip jar" I've seen at McDonald's is for donations to McDonald House.

@esmerelda This was an actual tip jar that said "tips" on it.

Valued Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@qvcaddition wrote:

Remember the day you had furniture delivered, did you tip?  Or the rug cleaned?  My Father was a garbage man in the big city, the days when they picked up the can, threw it over their shoulder and ran after the truck to throw in garbage.  Old timers would remember.  No one tipped them or driver of the truck. They also made very good money.  I worked in a very great Italian restaurant back in the day.  We served, a least six courses starting with angioplasty.  We got tipped but service had to be excellent.  Salary, 1.75 an hour, union.  Dues 5.00 a month.  Loved the job, made great tips, but you got excellent service or they didn,t keep you.  Today, these kids want to be tipped for everything.  Went into PEETS coffee to buy my coffee for home.  If the kid was any slower, he would have fallen down and yet there is a tip jar, I guess because he had to grind the beans.  At this shop, the 1/2 and 1/2 creamer and at Panera where empty and so was the coffee urn.  No one checks anything, yet all these people running around.  I guess having been a waitress for 17 years back in the day, we would have been . Fired. My daughter says they don,t make enough money.  Try 1.75 an hour.You took pride in whatever your job was, a d gave your best.

Thanks for letting me post this. Tipping today is out of hand.  Remember the day the beauty operator gave you a Christmas gift?  Something small for appreciation being a customer.  Of course you did tip them.  Some of the old timers still do, but the majority expect a gift from you.  I give at Christmas to some.

@ ITA.  And I'm surprised this thread has gotten this far without mention of tipping people because they are paid so little.

A tip is given for good service.  When it's given based on the hourly wage of the person giving the service, it's not a tip...it's charity.

@esmerelda Restaurants that offer sit down service from a server pay their employees below minimum wage, they are allowed to by law as the tips are presumed to well make up for it. Workers at Panera are paid at least minimum wage, many well above it.