Esteemed Contributor

Re: Tipping question, eating at Panera

@QuseYes, I know about the very low rate sit-down restaurant workers are paid.  It should encourge them to provide excellent services in order to get a good tip.  Maybe that's why/how their bosses get away with it.

The unfortunate things is tips are usually shared...so the one who hustles ends up with the same as the slacker.  That isn't right.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

Re: Tipping question, eating at Panera

[ Edited ]

@esmerelda wrote:

@QuseYes, I know about the very low rate sit-down restaurant workers are paid.  It should encourge them to provide excellent services in order to get a good tip.  Maybe that's why/how their bosses get away with it.

The unfortunate things is tips are usually shared...so the one who hustles ends up with the same as the slacker.  That isn't right.

@esmerelda I agree with you. I learned this a long time ago, and now I ask if each server receives his/her tip. If someone goes out of his/her way for me, I want to be able to say thank you the way I want. If the hostess tells me the tips are shared with all of the servers, then I take that into consideration.

A lot of restaurants near us are now printing the "suggested tips" on the bottom of the receipt. I don't like that. I was taught to tip 20% BEFORE tax and round up (for good service), and it is always less than the receipt indicates. 

I understand one of the Paneras near us has gone to the automated ordering. When I go there, at least I'll know what to expect. I was used to ordering at the register, then waiting down the line for my first name to be called. Then I would take my food and find a seat! Smiley Wink