Honored Contributor

I color my own hair and have no problems with doing it myself.....

Where I live now (after trial and error) have found that our local Great Clips does a consistently good job on my layered bob.  I get a senior discount and with 20% tip rarely pay over $20 for the service  Woman Happy.   

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Trusted Contributor

I refuse to color my own hair anymore. I never liked doing it and it became more of a hassle. I pay $65 for a cut and root color and I usually tip her $15. It's worth it to me.

Honored Contributor

I know most places double for their products.

I tip for their time and the quality of the work.

I wouldn't tip anything if I was unhappy with the job they have done. And I would tell them so and never go back.

If I get bad service when I'm eating out, then I won't leave a tip.

A tip is given for a job well done and it is my choice whether I give one not because it is expected.

Just because the prices go up doesn't mean that I need to give a bigger tip. It is not taking the person any longer to do my hair.

Honored Contributor

@Iwantcoffee wrote:

@dmod nj wrote:
On 3/20/2015 september said: 20 percent. If you go to a salon where the services are pricier...you still have to go by the expected tip amount. I had to go to a more expensive salon today for a pedicure. The price they asked was more than what I usually pay for pedi plus tip. So...I paid the extra amount. Plus an extra amount for the tip. Usually..where the salon is located, determines what they charge. When their rent is higher..you'll pay more for basic services, but you have to pay more for tips, too.

Exactly. I'm not sure why people feel, if they pay a bit more for a service, the tip % should be any less.

If you can afford the service, you should tip accordingly.

If you can't afford the service and an appropriate tip, find a cheaper service.

Not picking on the OP or september. Just general comments and my opinion.

IMO, a tip is to for low wage earners who provide good service. IMO, it makes no sense to tip someone 20% that charges $1000.00 for hair service and someone in a restaurant who makes under $3.00 an hour. What someone gets tipped is based on the service they provide and their pay, not mine.

The stylist isn't keeping 100% of the money she charges.  If she is employed by the salon, she only gets 50%-60% of what she charges.  If she rents a chair in the salon, she pays rent, etc. to the salon owner.  

Trusted Contributor

I pay $40 for color (I bring my own) and cut and tip $10.

Honored Contributor

I have been going to the owner of the salon for 20 years. DD has been going since she was old enough to get a haircut. She worked there part time during hs and college, and still fills in on weekends if the regular receptionist is off. SHE is like a member of the family there, and I'm very fond of my stylist.

I have seen a lot of changes and a lot of price increases. When it went over $100 for everything (cut and color) some years ago, I asked the senoir receptionist what to do. She kind of advised me not to worry about keeping up with the 20% rule, as she said not many people do.

When I get my hair colored every three months, I tip $20. When I get a trim and blow dry, which is now up to about $70 with one of the owners (my stylist's older sister came on board when she got her license) or one of the senior stylists, I tip $10. I always give him a nice check for Christmas. 

It works for me. DD has told me one of the older women who come in on Saturdays doesn't tip him at all. She doesn't believe in it. He treats her the same as any other paying customer, and knowing him pretty well, I'm not surprised! Smiley Happy