Honored Contributor
On 3/20/2015 september said: 20 percent. If you go to a salon where the services are pricier...you still have to go by the expected tip amount. I had to go to a more expensive salon today for a pedicure. The price they asked was more than what I usually pay for pedi plus tip. So...I paid the extra amount. Plus an extra amount for the tip. Usually..where the salon is located, determines what they charge. When their rent is higher..you'll pay more for basic services, but you have to pay more for tips, too.

Exactly. I'm not sure why people feel, if they pay a bit more for a service, the tip % should be any less.

If you can afford the service, you should tip accordingly.

If you can't afford the service and an appropriate tip, find a cheaper service.

Not picking on the OP or september. Just general comments and my opinion.

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

This is just my opinion but..

if you love your hair

love your stylist

if you walk out happy, Tip 36 dollars. I would tip at least 40

If you like it,, tip 30 bucks

If you hate it, but have gone their before and she has always been good, still tip 15%.

If you can't afford, you need to find another salon for less. That is just my opinion.

Because they raise their prices doesn't mean she is pocketing all the extra! There are chair fees, insurance, product costs, they buy their own blowers, hot tools, scissors. Scissors are 300 to 500 bucks for top sheers! Hairdressers who rent chairs pay their own medical, and do not get paid days off, vacations, etc. Something to think about

Honored Contributor

I have been out of the business for years. I did platform and teaching back in the olden days. I mean olden days. Back when scissors were 30 bucks for the best, and a bottle of tint was 69 cents! I still have my license. I go to the wholesale place to buy my product. I went in last month to pick up 2 tubes of tint. They went up almost 2 bucks each in a month! The shampoo like Alterna, Sebastian and Pureology went up a few bucks as well!

I paid for my GD to go to Christophe in BH for her headshots. Trim, low lights, and a few highlights. 455 with tip.

Her regular salon, is 300 in Studio City.

I am in No Cal, Silicon Valley and it is 65-70 for haircut. About 220 for tint and haircut. Here I think my grandson goes to Great Clips with a coupon and it is 20 bucks

Honored Contributor
On 3/20/2015 dmod nj said:
On 3/20/2015 september said: 20 percent. If you go to a salon where the services are pricier...you still have to go by the expected tip amount. I had to go to a more expensive salon today for a pedicure. The price they asked was more than what I usually pay for pedi plus tip. So...I paid the extra amount. Plus an extra amount for the tip. Usually..where the salon is located, determines what they charge. When their rent is higher..you'll pay more for basic services, but you have to pay more for tips, too.

Exactly. I'm not sure why people feel, if they pay a bit more for a service, the tip % should be any less.

If you can afford the service, you should tip accordingly.

If you can't afford the service and an appropriate tip, find a cheaper service.

Not picking on the OP or september. Just general comments and my opinion.

I didn't feel like you were picking on me. I agree with you. Because it wasn't convenient for me to go to the less expensive place today.....I went to one where I knew it would cost more. I paid for the time I saved, and it was worth it.

Honored Contributor
On 3/20/2015 shoekitty said:

I have been out of the business for years. I did platform and teaching back in the olden days. I mean olden days. Back when scissors were 30 bucks for the best, and a bottle of tint was 69 cents! I still have my license. I go to the wholesale place to buy my product. I went in last month to pick up 2 tubes of tint. They went up almost 2 bucks each in a month! The shampoo like Alterna, Sebastian and Pureology went up a few bucks as well!

I paid for my GD to go to Christophe in BH for her headshots. Trim, low lights, and a few highlights. 455 with tip.

Her regular salon, is 300 in Studio City.

I am in No Cal, Silicon Valley and it is 65-70 for haircut. About 220 for tint and haircut. Here I think my grandson goes to Great Clips with a coupon and it is 20 bucks

My husband doesn't have much hair and goes to the local Tru-cuts. There is a 14.99 charge for haircuts, and he pays 20.00 with the tip. So...that's on the upper end of tipping, but not a bad deal!

Honored Contributor

$40

Respected Contributor
$40. you can only afford the price if you can afford it with the tip included, IMO.
Super Contributor

The tip should be in proportion to the cost of the service. 20% seems to be the acceptable norm for good service, so you should continue to tip 20% even though you are paying more. If you don't feel the service is worth 20% you should tell your stylist or the salon owner your reasons for compensating them with less gratuity. While $180 isn't cheap, I would say it is in the mid-range of costs for those services depending on where you live. When I lived in a big city and went to a high-end salon I easily paid $400 for those services, not including tip. If you don't want to spend that much you should evaluate how much you like your stylist and how she/he does your hair, versus finding a new place that is less expensive but perhaps won't do your hair as well. It's a risk.

Respected Contributor
On $180, which is pretty much what mine is, too, I would give her $35. I don't always round UP lol. Sometimes it's $90 for cut and touch up, and I give her $20. It all evens out.
Respected Contributor

@VanSleepy wrote:
On $180, which is pretty much what mine is, too, I would give her $35. I don't always round UP lol. Sometimes it's $90 for cut and touch up, and I give her $20. It all evens out.

This is about what I pay as well. However, my stylist recently increased my color/blow dry from $90 (I gave her $110) to $125 which I thought was a pretty steep increase.  However, she did keep me at $90 for some time.  $110 to $150 seems like an awful lot but I guess that is what the going rate now is (she also told me that the younger stylists were charging more than she was and that was why she increased her prices).