Respected Contributor

i was at the salon a few weeks ago. i booked ahead of time a  ROOT/TONER sevice as my stylist had suggested back in June when she told me to book root/toner.

i was charged $125.00  for full color and cut!  she did my roots with permanent color and the color was so dark and harsh. then she toned my hair all over and she gave me a DUSTING hair cut!  not even my sideswept bangs were trimmed!

i tipped her 20 % but am seriously re-thinking going back to her. she gave me some  sob story about having a client from Texas earlier that day and having to rat her hair and not knowing how to do it

she spent a lot of time texting - i know she did becuase she has done this before. when i am at the sink and she is toning or conditioning. also at her workstation.

Respected Contributor

20%

I tip extra for my holiday trim, plus a Christmas gift! I love what she does with my hair!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

I pay $125 plus 20% tip for highlights and a trim every 10 to 12 weeks.  I think that's expensive, but that's the going rate in the area I live.  It ends up being about $150.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

I always tip 20%.  Sometimes it comes out to more because I round up. 

She's doesn't waste time and never runs late. 

Respected Contributor

@dmod nj wrote:
On 3/20/2015 september said: 20 percent. If you go to a salon where the services are pricier...you still have to go by the expected tip amount. I had to go to a more expensive salon today for a pedicure. The price they asked was more than what I usually pay for pedi plus tip. So...I paid the extra amount. Plus an extra amount for the tip. Usually..where the salon is located, determines what they charge. When their rent is higher..you'll pay more for basic services, but you have to pay more for tips, too.

Exactly. I'm not sure why people feel, if they pay a bit more for a service, the tip % should be any less.

If you can afford the service, you should tip accordingly.

If you can't afford the service and an appropriate tip, find a cheaper service.

Not picking on the OP or september. Just general comments and my opinion.

IMO, a tip is to for low wage earners who provide good service. IMO, it makes no sense to tip someone 20% that charges $1000.00 for hair service and someone in a restaurant who makes under $3.00 an hour. What someone gets tipped is based on the service they provide and their pay, not mine.

Honored Contributor

$36.00 (20%) if the service is great,  $27.00 (15%) if the service is good.

Respected Contributor

@Iwantcoffee wrote:

@dmod nj wrote:
On 3/20/2015 september said: 20 percent. If you go to a salon where the services are pricier...you still have to go by the expected tip amount. I had to go to a more expensive salon today for a pedicure. The price they asked was more than what I usually pay for pedi plus tip. So...I paid the extra amount. Plus an extra amount for the tip. Usually..where the salon is located, determines what they charge. When their rent is higher..you'll pay more for basic services, but you have to pay more for tips, too.

Exactly. I'm not sure why people feel, if they pay a bit more for a service, the tip % should be any less.

IMO, a tip is to for low wage earners who provide good service. IMO, it makes no sense to tip someone 20% that charges $1000.00 for hair service and someone in a restaurant who makes under $3.00 an hour. What someone gets tipped is based on the service they provide and their pay, not mine.

The expectation from service providers of a tip of particular size or percentage has gotten completely out of hand.  A gratuity is a gift, not a debt, for service received.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

I tip 20-25 pct as a general rule most anywhere. More if the charges are low, like just a regular manicure. But I won't pay crazy prices at a hair salon...300 or 400, or close to 500 dollars. I've been all over, been there and done that, and honestly they are just not worth it.

You can find a good hair stylist who charges reasonable rates. I have had some terrible highlights at very expensive salons. It's not rocket science and the cost does not dictate how good they are. You might have found someone who does a great job on your hair who is very expensive but I can assure you there is someone out there who's just as good who charges much, much less. 

Of course everyone can spend their money as they please 😄

Valued Contributor

I agree 20% is the usual but it does need to be good service.

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@Iwantcoffee wrote:

@dmod nj wrote:

The expectation from service providers of a tip of particular size or percentage has gotten completely out of hand.  A gratuity is a gift, not a debt, for service received.

ITA

People don't even seem that happy with 20% anymore.  It's like they expect it and really want 25%.  I tip well, but I think tipping has gotten out of hand.  I give more when they don't expect it and truly appreciate it.  I usually tip in cash too.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"