Esteemed Contributor

@bonappetit wrote:

IMO, sounds like a lot of $$ to be tipping. I give 20% and let the stylist or colorist, whatever I had done, figure it all out. Why should customers have to do all the math & calculations?

@bonappetit 

I know, right?

It must be nice to be rolling in wealth.

Good for her. 😊

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Jordan2, you don't really need us to weigh in because it's totally what you feel comfortable giving. Personally, I think that your gifts are just fine, and I would ignore any snide comments.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Jordan2, you don't really need us to weigh in because it's totally what you feel comfortable giving. Personally, I think that your gifts are just fine, and I would ignore any snide comments.

Are you the judge on these forums? Jordan2 wrote this and asked the forum to weigh in.

Respected Contributor

The stylists I have gone are usually the ones who wash my hair.  I give a holiday card with money equal to what I would pay for a haircut. 

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 

I think you are very generous and kind.  I am sure they appreciate you.

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 I am definitely NOT rolling in the dough! Some people give the cost of their whole services, that would be $102, so $50 isn't out of line. I appreciate what my stylist does for me, she has two young kids, I don't know what kind of salary she gets. If I can help make her holiday a little brighter for her and her family, I'm happy to do it.

Respected Contributor

Re: Tipping At The Salon

[ Edited ]

One way to figure this out is based on skill and time:

shampooer = 10 minutes, minimal skill, doesn't need to understand the look I'm going for, etc

stylist = much more time, had to earn a license, etc

Based on the above, I wouldn't be handing over another $30 on top of what I already paid and tipped. What I can afford to do is also irrelevant. I wouldn't want to contribute to an unrealistic expectation (for anyone giving or receiving). Just my thoughts. 

Esteemed Contributor

I got my hair cut last week. I went to a new shop, saw a new girl. She did a great job, because of covid, I probably won't be going back for several months.

While I was there, the stylists were talking about when they were unable to work, some of these are single mothers, getting no child support..

I left my stylist a generous tip. I appreciated the time and care she took in cutting, coloring and styling my hair. I think if we can be generous at this time, its a nice thing to do.

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 Just a little fyi!  Years ago, before I found my wonderful hairdresser whom I've been a client of for 9 years, I went to Supercuts.

I got great service there (except once) and I always tipped.

Respected Contributor

Re: Tipping At The Salon

[ Edited ]

@bonappetit wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Are you the judge on these forums? Jordan2 wrote this and asked the forum to weigh in.

Maybe her mother? Not!