Honored Contributor

I have had it for many, many years. It's so normal to me now I don't even hear it. But every once in a while it will stop and I will suddenly realize how loud the noise in my ears has been. I am now also experiencing hearing loss in my left ear. I am due for a hearing test to measure how bad it is.

The tinnitus I can't attribute to aging, since I've had it for so long, but the hearing loss is definitely from aging. In and of itself it is not dangerous, but if it's new to you, you should probably have it checked out.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

PoutyLips ,don't want to take this off topic but I would like to tell you thank you for the thread that you started last night it was very kind of you to do it. Sorry to see that it is gone but for the time I was there it was very nice to read.

Honored Contributor

I've had this for some time now. Those who say that there is no cure are completely right. So, if anybody (or some ad you see online, on tv, or in a magazine) says that they have the magic cure - they are lying.

Sometimes it really drives me crazy. Sometimes it is so loud I want to shove a pencil through my head. Mostly it's mid-level and every now and then, like maybe once in 4-6 months, it is so low I can barely hear it. That is always short-lived.

You can get used to pretty much anything, so this one is not one to fight. It's kind of a pain that it's harder to hear with it always going on. I can only hear two things at a time - the ringing in my ears and one other thing. So when people are over-talking or constantly interrupting, or LOUD-talking, I have to check out. I get in sensory overload.

Also, any very loud, shrill, or sudden noise will jack up the sound in my ears to ten times higher. The only way I know to over-bear it is to put headphones on and play VERY loud music. That will over-ride it, but it's not a good idea just for general, obvious reasons.

ETA - I wanted to add, as this may help somebody else, that if you have trouble hearing television shows - using headphones makes 100% difference. I use a set of wireless headphones in my living room. I also have some Roku 3 units, which have this cool, handy, set of earbuds that plugs into the remote. (just don't leave them in the remote all the time or you'll drain batteries quickly)

Super Contributor

My doctor told me to learn to live with it. Most of the time it is not too bad, but sometimes the sound is like crackling cellophane. That is when it really bothers me.

Honored Contributor
On 5/10/2014 ILikeShade said:
On 5/10/2014 Gooday said:

DH has had it for years. It is worse at night while trying to sleep. He usually has a transistor radio with ear phones and that helps drown out the ringing. He saw an ENT that was of no help.

My dh too has problems sleeping and why he takes ambien. Wish he didn't but at least he found something to help him fall asleep.

Ambien, is dangerous! Sorry, don't want to scare you, but, my husband had trouble sleeping and it was Dr. prescribed and one night he got up sleep walking I was still up reading and thought it was weird he would go to a bathroom on the other side of the house where there's one right next to our bedroom. He gets up all glassy eyed and disoriented had no idea what he was doing or where he was going and was holding his arm funny. I thought he had a stroke and was getting ready to call 911. He would stare right at me , not say nothing just stared and kept walking. Dream walking I said what are you doing there's a bathroom right off the bedroom instead of walking thru the living room, kitchen, and hallway. He went to a half bath on other side of house I went in there and turned on the lights as bright as I could get them and shook him till he woke up. Scared the c*ap out of me and we flushed them down the commode. One of the Kennedy women was stupid enough to take a pill and get behind the wheel and had a accident.

I've got the T too, sounds like a sea shell sound in my ear, but, turn a fan on in the room, helps a lot. Nothing can be done for it or if could insur. probably wouldn't pay for it. LOL

Trusted Contributor

After chemo, I started to hear crickets in the wintertime! Now, it's constant. It's from the chemo, (damage to the hairs in inner ear). I also have trouble hearing the 'target' conversation if there is any background sounds, (music, TV, etc.). My oncologist wanted to send me to an ENT that specialized in bio feed back. White noise, etc. The hearing aids are too expensive, and not a sure cure. It won't get better, so I try to deal with it. I miss a lot of conversations, unless they are directly speaking to me. Movies with background music-forget it. British accents-hopeless.

Honored Contributor
On 5/11/2014 MaggieToo said:

My doctor told me to learn to live with it. Most of the time it is not too bad, but sometimes the sound is like crackling cellophane. That is when it really bothers me.

I thought there was a way to reduce the symptoms, that must be maddening to live with.

Trusted Contributor
Wanted to add a few more comments to what I shared previously: the name of the hearing aids that helped my mother so much is Widex. I would urge anyone who is suffering to see a Dr. Of Audiology and see what they can do for you. The first appt. was free for my mother, and she had 30 days risk-free to try the aids. Of course, now she would never give them up! She was missing out on so much, and the ringing was driving her crazy. The audiologist said that when you have hearing loss, the brain does not get stimulated as much, and gradually those nerve connections just die off. Also, for those who just notice their tinnitus at night, they even have special night hearing aids! The technology is so wonderful now, so please give it some thought if you are suffering.
Honored Contributor
On 5/11/2014 Dawg lover said: Wanted to add a few more comments to what I shared previously: the name of the hearing aids that helped my mother so much is Widex. I would urge anyone who is suffering to see a Dr. Of Audiology and see what they can do for you. The first appt. was free for my mother, and she had 30 days risk-free to try the aids. Of course, now she would never give them up! She was missing out on so much, and the ringing was driving her crazy. The audiologist said that when you have hearing loss, the brain does not get stimulated as much, and gradually those nerve connections just die off. Also, for those who just notice their tinnitus at night, they even have special night hearing aids! The technology is so wonderful now, so please give it some thought if you are suffering.

I totally agree. I am so happy with my new hearing aids. One thing my Audiologist shared with me, regarding use and consistency, is that they are learning more and more that people who should have worn hearing aids, but didn't, often get dementia in their golden years.

Super Contributor

You must see an ENT and also have a hearing test done. Then they can teach you physical therapy exercises you can do to lesson the problem and almost obliterate the noises.

But GO, and stop procrastinating, you won't get better until you do this !

Good luck !