Super Contributor

Re: Those of you who have gotten both your Moderna shots, question?...

Both my husband & I received both Moderna shots, and I don't think we had any side effects to speak of.  I've had a runny nose for ages, but that may not be related.  Just have your shot & don't worry about it. 

Super Contributor

I got my 1st shot and, other than a slightly sore arm, nothing significant.  I went April 2nd, around noon, for my 2nd one.  Around 2:00 am, the following day, I woke up with bad chills. It was so bad, I got up to check the furnace thermostat. It was fine. That's when it hit me that this was one of the side effects of the vaccine.  I was out of it all of that day but by Easter Sunday I was much better.

Honored Contributor

After I got my 2nd shot I had a difficult time sleeping that night. Kept waking up, tossing and turning. Normally I don't move around much at all when I sleep but you should have seen my bed when I woke up the next day. The dog was even alarmed at the mess of blankets and sheets I made. She looked at me like it was her fault....LOL!

The next day my house felt like an oven and it was actually only about 58' inside. I didn't want to turn up the furnace b/c I would have fainted from the heat. Crazy.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

1st Moderna shot early afternoon 2/8; had low-grade, short-term headache couple hours after shot, fatigue, achiness and coldness about 2-3 days, swollen sore arm with redness for about a week and 3-4 days of itching.

2nd Moderna shot early afternoon 3/8;  no reaction day of shot, slight fatigue and coldness next day with mild itching, minimal arm soreness for several days.

More reaction with 1st shot!!

Respected Contributor

@Ceci   When I went for my 2nd shot, the Kaiser nurse told me the same information about using the shot arm to work the muscles. Was not instructed the same at the 1st shot. Had more reaction after 1st shot!

Honored Contributor

I am sorry you have had such a rough reaction to your vaccine. My fatigue was the day after my second dose but then aI was fine. Maybe your response to the second dose will be fine....just make sure to keep your calendar clear so you can rest afterwards.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hubby and I both received our 2nd Moderna vaccine this past Sunday.  We both felt fine all of Sunday but by Monday I was really feeling the bad side effects.  I had a terrible headache and body aches.  I spent most of the day sleeping on the couch.  I couldn't seem to be able to stay awake.  I thought I'd feel better by Tuesday and in some ways I did, however, I still had a slight headache and was very tired.  My energy level which is usually pretty high had sunk to a low level.  I still spent most of that day sleeping.  

Fortunately by Wednesday I was feeling much better and more like myself.  My energy had returned and my headache and body aches had disappeared.  

The only side effect my husband felt was a slight headache.  He said he felt a little tired on Monday but nothing like what I experienced.   Whether this is true or not, I've heard from others that it seems like women might experience more side effects than men do after they both receive the 2nd vaccination.

In spite of not feeling great for a few days I am so grateful that we were able to get our second vaccine.  It's been difficult to get appointments in our area.  They filled up almost as soon as they were offered.

Honored Contributor

My husband and I both received the second shot on Tuesday.

My husband had the chills for Tuesday and some of Wednesday. His arm was sore and swollen on Tuesday. He did not walk for 3 - 4 miles in the park on Wednesday. He did not feel well. He read the instructions that we got and took Advil (?) and even went back to bed.  Today is the first day he seemed to feel a bit better.

My arm was sore since the second shot. But it was not as bad as the first shot.  After the first shot, my arm was sore, itchy and swollen for a week. I must say I had no appetite yesterday. I could not eat all the Reuben sandwich from Tuesday evening's dinner. And it did no appeal to me at all yesterday. I didn't eat anything for lunch on Wednesday because I did not want to eat anything. And had a very light dinner.

Trusted Contributor

I've had both Moderna shots, no reactions at all.  Two of my 3 family members who have received both shots also had ZERO reaction, but my son did feel bad for about 6 hours after his first Pfizer shot.  Now he's afraid to go back to get his 2nd one!!

Valued Contributor

Had no reactions with either shot. i heard Faucci talk about exercising your arm during the 15 minute wait time. Use your purse and lift it repeatedly during the 15 minutes. For men, bring something along that weighs about 3-5 lbs and work your arm during the wait time.

He explained if you don't work that arm, the vaccine irritates the muscle and the vaccine sits there and can't get out into the blood stream. I did that both times and had absolutely no soreness at all. My daughter did the same and, no pain or soreness. Her husband babied his arm and had a horribly sore arm plus felt sick.

It works, move that arm immediately with some weight to move the vaccine out of the muscle. If you don't, it causes irritation and cramps the muscle.